No smoke to smoker

sfurstar

Reaction score
Hey all,

very new to my Lockhart Platinum Series smoker, but I am consistently having an issue and I can't seem to find anything on it. After the initial startup of my Pit Boss, I get the smoker up to my temp per Pit Boss instructions, then drop the set temp down to 275-300. Meat cooks well, and I've turned in some very tender meats so far. However, I've noticed that zero smoke gets to my smoke box, but there is a large, ample amount of smoke existing out of my hopper. My meats do not have that smoky taste I have become accustomed to. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I am not understanding of my new smoker?

Pellet grills are not going to give you the best smoke, but I am not familiar with the Lockhart. If you go on YouTube you will find individuals using them. Some here use a smoke tube so they will provide some insight on it.

videos I have seen of the Lockhart show smoke coming through the box...smoke through the stacks...I'm saying there is literally ZERO visible smoke coming into the box....I can see plenty of smoke rolling out of the pellet hopper, and if I lift the lid to the hopper there is a large amount of smoke. so, it's like the smoke is moving back through the hopper, the opposite way. anyone else experienced this?

I have learned this-- when I first fire it up, leave the dial on "S" (which is 160 deg.). Put meat in for about an hour at this setting, then tweak the temp up to desired temp and cook to required internal temp. Smoke flavor is better.

I’ve tried everything including leaving it on the smoker setting. Still no real smoke getting to cabinet
I see huge amounts of smoke coming up through the hopper. Help!!!

Pellet grills are not going to give you the best smoke, but I am not familiar with the Lockhart. If you go on YouTube you will find individuals using them. Some here use a smoke tube so they will provide some insight on it.
Not familiar with a smoke tube. Can you expound?

Not familiar with a smoke tube. Can you expound?
And if that is the case, then way market it as a smoker, as it’s clearly marketed.
I’ve watched lots of the YT videos your talking about and I don’t even have near the smoke I see in those videos. I truly feel like there’s something I’ve missed in setup or somerhing

I bought a 12” pellet smoker tube off Amazon for $20 to use on my other pitboss grill. I use it on the platinums lower grill when smoking in the top cabinet. Uses same pellets as grill and lasts about 4 hours. My Pellet grills/smokers don’t put out a lot of smoke unless they need cleaning.

And if that is the case, then way market it as a smoker, as it’s clearly marketed.
I’ve watched lots of the YT videos your talking about and I don’t even have near the smoke I see in those videos. I truly feel like there’s something I’ve missed in setup or somerhing

TBH you have to be careful with some of the YouTube videos. I agree on some videos the smoke output is very questionable for a Pellet grill.

I have learned this-- when I first fire it up, leave the dial on "S" (which is 160 deg.). Put meat in for about an hour at this setting, then tweak the temp up to desired temp and cook to required internal temp. Smoke flavor is better.
The only problem is the Lockhart doesn't have have S setting. It goes from 5 to 170 then so on. Iv tired 5 and 170 and I still don't get a good smoke. It dosen't have the same control box as the other pit boss. I like my Lockhart as grill but as a smoker it sucks I have to do a smoke tube to add extra smoke

When you turn it on, it is an "S" on display. NOT A 5. That is your Smoke mode.

I use a smoke tube with mine also.
Had mine since they first came out and enjoy it.

Latest Discussions

Back