Newbie needs help with PB1150

Milkman331

Reaction score
I'm new here and to PitBoss . I've read several threads and watched some videos on how to modify my grill to help with temps... I set my grill to 220 and my remote Thermopro temp says it's at 250... How can I fix this issue .. I'm going to ruin some good meat.. I saw one hack it says it remove the temp probe shield ?? Any thoughts ?? Please help .

I'm new here and to PitBoss . I've read several threads and watched some videos on how to modify my grill to help with temps... I set my grill to 220 and my remote Thermopro temp says it's at 250... How can I fix this issue .. I'm going to ruin some good meat.. I saw one hack it says it remove the temp probe shield ?? Any thoughts ?? Please help .
You will be just fine. The thing that you want to worry about is keeping a consistent temperature. This smoker if you have the current updates will hold temperature just fine. I use my temperature on my controller and then double check it with my air temperature probe on my aftermarket thermometer. Don't use a regular meat thermometer probe make sure you using the proper ambient or air temperature probe. When I tested mine I found that it was off at the beginning of the smoke and became much closer once it was heated up and ran for over an hour. If you're running at 250 that is a typical smoker temperature and you'll be just fine for any meat you want to cook. I cook at that temperature all the time on all of my meats. Remember it is not so much the temperature as it is the fluctuation and that is what will kill you. If you bought this for a smoker remember the best meats are low and slow and this smoker does that very well!

You will be just fine. The thing that you want to worry about is keeping a consistent temperature. This smoker if you have the current updates will hold temperature just fine. I use my temperature on my controller and then double check it with my air temperature probe on my aftermarket thermometer. Don't use a regular meat thermometer probe make sure you using the proper ambient or air temperature probe. When I tested mine I found that it was off at the beginning of the smoke and became much closer once it was heated up and ran for over an hour. If you're running at 250 that is a typical smoker temperature and you'll be just fine for any meat you want to cook. I cook at that temperature all the time on all of my meats. Remember it is not so much the temperature as it is the fluctuation and that is what will kill you. If you bought this for a smoker remember the best meats are low and slow and this smoker does that very well!
Thank you so much for responding. What ambient air temperature thermometer do you use?? I also found that the probs(stock ones from PitBoss ) do not seem to be that accurate. Thank you again

Thank you so much for responding. What ambient air temperature thermometer do you use?? I also found that the probs(stock ones from PitBoss ) do not seem to be that accurate. Thank you again
Well I have been at this for a long time so I have several smoke thermometers by thermal works. They are used in competition and they are very accurate. The thing that is nice about them is you can get different kinds of probes for different thicknesses of meat. The thing that is cool about the pit Boss 1150 pro as you can set your temperature with probe number one which is I think MCP and it will cook to the temperature and when the meat is done it will cool down to about 180° to keep the meat warm until you are ready to serve it. When I did my first cook I just used the temperature probe supplied by pit Boss and kept an eye on them with my thermometer. I did chicken and pork. It was just fine and I used a probe thermometer to check the done temperature. Everything was as it should be. To be honest I thinkg you are over thinking this. Set your pit Boss at 250 and go for it and I'm sure you'll be just fine and you'll be very happy with the meat. Remember the important thing number one is consistent temperature and number two always check your finished temperature of your meat with a handheld quick read thermometer. When I smoke on my wood burner temperature control is the most critical and it can fluctuate 25° and sometimes maybe a bit more before you get it all under control. When I did my first smoke on this I watched the temperature for about 7 hours and was amazed at how well it held temperature! Mine is the 1150 pro S2. I made sure that I had the new controller update which I did. I didn't know modifications at all. I have to tell you I loved it! It does not have as much smoke flavor as when I cook with wood but I think it has its place. Because it has a fan induction it Cooks a lot different than a wood burner. The only thing I did notice about it when I cleaned it up was that there was a lot of Ash that was blown around by the fan. Did not seem to get up on the meat but I will have to keep an eye on that. It takes a little time to get it going but once it's going it is a masterpiece. The meat is very moist. Like I said before just relax this is a pretty awesome smoker and it does all the work for you. The app itself sucks but I don't need to use the app. My probes can connect up to a transmitter that I have so I can keep eye on temperatures anyway. So just have fun when you're smoking get yourself some recipes put them in a folder. Have fun making your own rubs and your own sauces. With this grill you can spend more time on that and not so much time won't happen to worry about the cook itself.

Well I have been at this for a long time so I have several smoke thermometers by thermal works. They are used in competition and they are very accurate. The thing that is nice about them is you can get different kinds of probes for different thicknesses of meat. The thing that is cool about the pit Boss 1150 pro as you can set your temperature with probe number one which is I think MCP and it will cook to the temperature and when the meat is done it will cool down to about 180° to keep the meat warm until you are ready to serve it. When I did my first cook I just used the temperature probe supplied by pit Boss and kept an eye on them with my thermometer. I did chicken and pork. It was just fine and I used a probe thermometer to check the done temperature. Everything was as it should be. To be honest I thinkg you are over thinking this. Set your pit Boss at 250 and go for it and I'm sure you'll be just fine and you'll be very happy with the meat. Remember the important thing number one is consistent temperature and number two always check your finished temperature of your meat with a handheld quick read thermometer. When I smoke on my wood burner temperature control is the most critical and it can fluctuate 25° and sometimes maybe a bit more before you get it all under control. When I did my first smoke on this I watched the temperature for about 7 hours and was amazed at how well it held temperature! Mine is the 1150 pro S2. I made sure that I had the new controller update which I did. I didn't know modifications at all. I have to tell you I loved it! It does not have as much smoke flavor as when I cook with wood but I think it has its place. Because it has a fan induction it Cooks a lot different than a wood burner. The only thing I did notice about it when I cleaned it up was that there was a lot of Ash that was blown around by the fan. Did not seem to get up on the meat but I will have to keep an eye on that. It takes a little time to get it going but once it's going it is a masterpiece. The meat is very moist. Like I said before just relax this is a pretty awesome smoker and it does all the work for you. The app itself sucks but I don't need to use the app. My probes can connect up to a transmitter that I have so I can keep eye on temperatures anyway. So just have fun when you're smoking get yourself some recipes put them in a folder. Have fun making your own rubs and your own sauces. With this grill you can spend more time on that and not so much time won't happen to worry about the cook itself.
JerryM...
Thank you so much for the insight,and I think you are totally correct I think I've been over thinking this. One last question, how can I tell if I have the updated controller?? I have the 1150ps2… I've read that people are sending back controllers to get re flashed and I called PitBoss today and they said since my controller goes in , increments of 10° I should be good. Thanks again

JerryM...
Thank you so much for the insight,and I think you are totally correct I think I've been over thinking this. One last question, how can I tell if I have the updated controller?? I have the 1150ps2… I've read that people are sending back controllers to get re flashed and I called PitBoss today and they said since my controller goes in , increments of 10° I should be good. Thanks again
Yeah it sounds like you're on the right track. All of those mods that you read about you won't even need. There is a reason by the way that your temperature on the dial doesn't match your temperature with your thermometer and it is pretty simple. The thermometer for the pit Boss is not at the same level as your cooking rack. Therefore that temperature on your pit Boss will seem off. I am not sure why they did it that way. It really is very easy to fix. You just put an ambient probe at the cooking rack level then adjust the temperature dial to match the cooking temperature that you desire. I actually just set mine to 250 and left it and it was fine. Now I live in Southern California and it doesn't get real super cold here. They're also is no humidity. Temperature humidity and wind will all affect your cooking times. So don't get worried if your next cook is a little bit different. I have to tell you this smoker makes it pretty idiot proof. I am so used to controlling a fire and that takes a lot of work. I don't get the intense smoked flavor of a wood burner but I think I will be able to get what I want by controlling the kind of wood I use. Pit Boss has some pretty cool mixes of pellets that I think I'm going to like very well. I'm going to put my email on here if you want to stay in contact. [email protected]

Latest Discussions

Back