newbie and confused....

beulah bbq

Reaction score
hi, just got my pellet fed vertical smoker and did all of the requisite burn-off without any issue.
what I am struggling to understand is the knob setting temperature vs smoker. when should the knob be set at the smoker setting? sorry for the rudimentary question.

S is the smoke setting and will normally run 170-190. Basically any setting 225 and lower is for smoke but the most amount of smoke will happen when set on "S".

It's actually pretty easy to use. You can cook chicken breast pretty fast on high heat or just put it on smoke for 2 hours then turn it up to get it done.

S is used for slower cooks, high temps for fast cooks. I have done frozen pizza on my vertical at 400. It's pretty easy although you have to rotate it every few minutes to keep the bottom burning in one spot.

Look around for recipes and just look for "pit boss" videos on YouTube (if you want to do ribs just search for ribs on pit boss" and a ton of instructional videos will show up).

S is the smoke setting and will normally run 170-190. Basically any setting 225 and lower is for smoke but the most amount of smoke will happen when set on "S".

It's actually pretty easy to use. You can cook chicken breast pretty fast on high heat or just put it on smoke for 2 hours then turn it up to get it done.

S is used for slower cooks, high temps for fast cooks. I have done frozen pizza on my vertical at 400. It's pretty easy although you have to rotate it every few minutes to keep the bottom burning in one spot.

Look around for recipes and just look for "pit boss" videos on YouTube (if you want to do ribs just search for ribs on pit boss" and a ton of instructional videos will show up).
thanks Mike, that helps a lot.

On the smoke setting (P1 thru 5?) the heat is reduced and the smoke increased.

Latest Discussions

Back