New user question

tfagert

Reaction score
I have a new KC Combo. Just completed the burn in on both sides (LP and Pellet).

A couple of questions. It appears the fan continues to run when I turn off the power (hold button for 2 sec). Is that normal, and does it eventually shut off. I was impatient, and unplugged the unit, and of course the fan stopped. Should I let the fan run until it turns off? Or should I just unplug the grill when I have completed my cooking?

Do people leave the grill plugged in typically? I have an outlet right next to where the grill sits. Should I leave it plugged in, or unplug after each use?

Thanks!

Platinum Laredo 1000 - The fan continues to run after powering off as part of the cooling down process. I personally unplug and cover mine every evening. I don't want it inadvertently being turned on. Have fun and enjoy cooking!

I think that the fan you are hearing is because your pit boss is in cool down mode, that typically takes about 15 minutes. As far as if you should leave it plugged in, I leave mine plugged when not in use but not sure if that's good or not. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I have had my grill for 3 years and left it plugged in all the time. I ran into some problems recently and got it fixed. I noticed when I let it set plugged in for days that the ignighter has a low red glow. Never noticed the glow before due to I always have the burner cover closed. After my repairs I left the cover off. That's how I noticed it.

I would never leave it plugged in. Some of the newer models (including KC Combo) have been known to turn on by themselves while plugged in. For safety reasons you should never leave it plugged in. As for cool down, always let the fan "do its thing" until it turns off by itself then unplug the unit.

Never leave it plugged in
Learned that lesson one time when we had a lightning strike down the street. Luckily I had a new controller in my shop
I definitely let the cool down cycle run its course. I also lower the smoker temp while I am getting meat in the cooler. I figure it will help the cool down step work. Unplugging the unit before the cool down cycle is complete could allow the pellets in the auger to smolder back to the pellet vat and then the hopper might ignite!
I always keep my hose close when I'm smoking not just to rinse my hands!

I definitely let the cool down cycle run its course. I also lower the smoker temp while I am getting meat in the cooler. I figure it will help the cool down step work. Unplugging the unit before the cool down cycle is complete could allow the pellets in the auger to smolder back to the pellet vat and then the hopper might ignite!
I always keep my hose close when I'm smoking not just to rinse my hands!
I just bought a Pit Boss PB1130CS1 combo grill 8 May and thought I could leave it plugged in because who would design an electric circuit with an off switch that doesn't actually shut the electrical system off? I used the pellet grill and it worked great, shut it off with the power off button and let the cool down cycle do its thing. 2 days later I am in the back yard and notice a fan sound coming from the pellet grill. Lo and behold, the grill had turned its self on in the middle of the night and ran until all the pellets were gone. The grill was stone cold, so I just unplugged it. I got on the Pit Boss website where I registered it a couple of days before and had a nice chat with a customer support person named Eric. He said to unplug the grill after each use.

Eric
So after you turn the grill off, the Fan will continue to run to burn any remaining pellets and cool it down and then you need to unplug the grill from the outlet, if you don't unplug from the outlet it can cause an open lead if power is still going to the outlet.

This little tid bit of info is not mentioned in any part of the manual or Pit Boss website. I doubt I would have bought a Pit Boss if I had know this. Eric is sending me a replacement control board. I give customer service high marks for being honest and sending a new control board, but they should fire the designer of their pellet grills.

Latest Discussions

Back