New Pellet smoker

NickinSac

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just got the 850 pro. It seems to be doing everything I would expect, except it doesn't make smoke.

I did the burn in for an hour. I am using the Pit Boss "competition blend" pellets.

Is the fan supposed to run all the time? (the display shows fan ALL the TIME and it sounds like it is running).

Is it such a clean pellet that I don't see or get smoke either out the stack nor on the grill itself.

I tried opening the flame broiler, but I have kept it closed.

I am doing a rack of ribs now... I am disappointed, I don't smell it like I do when I use wood on my old smoker.

It does have heat and the flame is going. So it's cooking. :)

Apparently, pellet smokers are known for not too much smoke. I found the solution tho... smoker tubes. I have two of these on the way.

Apparently, pellet smokers are known for not too much smoke. I found the solution tho... smoker tubes. I have two of these on the way.
You"ll get plenty of nice smoke rings, seems like the more it's seasoned the better the smoke. From what I've seen on Pit Masters, you want a clean smoke out of your chimney, too much or bluish and the food can take on a bitter taste.
How'd the ribs come out?

You"ll get plenty of nice smoke rings, seems like the more it's seasoned the better the smoke. From what I've seen on Pit Masters, you want a clean smoke out of your chimney, too much or bluish and the food can take on a bitter taste.
How'd the ribs come out?
I’m just about to pull the ribs. I’m carmelizing the bbq sauce now. They look great!

Attachments

• 97A68DF5-79E0-44DC-B8C5-8AAC40806E48.jpeg
    97A68DF5-79E0-44DC-B8C5-8AAC40806E48.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 16
I only use competition blend too and I'm happy. Lower temps for more smoke. Try putting your ribs on 'S' for the first hour or so then moving them up to your cook temp (I do mine at 225). Plenty of smoke. And yes, the fan runs all the time. Keeps the fire from going out. Also, I never open the flame broiler. To me, it's a smoker not a grill.

Hope the ribs worked out!

I only use competition blend too and I'm happy. Lower temps for more smoke. Try putting your ribs on 'S' for the first hour or so then moving them up to your cook temp (I do mine at 225). Plenty of smoke. And yes, the fan runs all the time. Keeps the fire from going out. Also, I never open the flame broiler. To me, it's a smoker not a grill.

Hope the ribs worked out!
I’m not sure how to get it in “S” mode.... I’ve kept trying the MPT and that just makes the auger go for about 5 minutes. I don’t see more smoke. It seems like the pellets are just burning faster than they should to get smoke. The instructions, while saying a lot, don’t seem to address how to get “MORE” smoke. Just the talk about using the MPT to bring in more pellet. It says something like, this was requested of competitor smokers. Soooo I’m not sure

I’m not sure how to get it in “S” mode.... I’ve kept trying the MPT and that just makes the auger go for about 5 minutes. I don’t see more smoke. It seems like the pellets are just burning faster than they should to get smoke. The instructions, while saying a lot, don’t seem to address how to get “MORE” smoke. Just the talk about using the MPT to bring in more pellet. It says something like, this was requested of competitor smokers. Soooo I’m not sure
Hahah. Not five minutes about 5 SECONDS.

Smoke mode is when you turn the controller all the way down until an S shows on the display.

Smoke mode is when you turn the controller all the way down until an S shows on the display.
I smoke everything at 224 on my 850 Pro, and get a good smoke ring on everything. Yes, it seems to not show much smoke, but the end result of the meat does. So to me that’s all that matters. When I first got mine, I thought the same thing you did. But my everything has turned out great. And I have smoked just about any meat you can think of.

absolutely try different things and see what works best for you, NickinSac was just asking how to get his grille into S mode, I'm actually still learning this Pitboss myself because it is a bit different then my Bighorn that i have been using for the past 5 yrs.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back