new out of the box and defective

OU812

Reaction score
No meat probe receptacles, no visible P setting icon (dont know what P setting unit has been set at ) On smoke setting unit reaches 400 which I know isnt right. Pit boss sending mother board out. This unit isnt even a week old and I figured let me see what flavor the burgers will taste like .....That would be the definitive for me, if they taste good..great I would say OK , we'll work the other bugs out but it appears the unit is no doubt not correct & I would say defective and should have not gone out to consumers.

The burgers didnt have a speck of smoke flavor what so eve
r....Unit doesnt even produce a thin blue line what so ever . Prime button held down for a few seconds no smoke as well. Unit gets up to temp and roars like a lion...I figure thats good if I wanted 400+ temps. I vacuumed pellets out and observed unit working and every thing seems to be working correctly as far as auger turning, and delivering pellets to the hot pot, ignition rod working .,fan is working as well.

Will mother board fix some of these glitches? Did any one ever encounter anything similar and got it worked out?? Could fan be running possibly wrong and stoking hot pot and end result is high temp & no smoke? Maybe P setting is at a setting that produces high heat??

Im just hoping the mother board fixes the glitches .I dont want to give up on this ( love this grill and I know the company is good for really trying to fix the units) but my fear is that it may not get remedied and the window of returning wont be available......Kinda defeats you when stuff like this happens out of the box.

QC inspector was asleep at the wheel. Funny thing my friend and I grabbed 2 of these the day they went on sale and his unit is perfect, food tastes great unit smokes appropriately holds temps in accordance to this type of controller & swings arent more than 10-30 degrees from set temp to pit probe temp

Not on site but is basically 440 mahogany deluxe But its model number is 456D3. I guess when mother board comes and I install , I shall see if the bugs vanish.I'm thinking they may, if not I know they'll help make it right. Till then I guess I dont get to use it. Hopefully I get the board by the end of the week.

No P setting icon in smoke setting and extreme temps witnessed (400degrees) when wanting very low & slow temps. Lack of receptacles for probe inserts. The tutorial for the mother board swap looks a bit tedious and cramped.Big mits make tasks like that a PITA !!

Had the same issues with KC Combo. Changed mother board, temp probe, fan and wire harness with no improvement. Returned the smoker for another KC Combo and works perfect. My advice is return it before for a new one while you can.

I use a smoke tube and layer pellets and wood chips for more smoke
Hopefully this helps you

Had the same issues with KC Combo. Changed mother board, temp probe, fan and wire harness with no improvement. Returned the smoker for another KC Combo and works perfect. My advice is return it before for a new one while you can.
Due to being bought on line they want $70+ to ship it back and will not allow in store return. Also no more stock of the unit . At $183.00 I guess they figure they'll throw parts at me until it either works, or it doesnt.My question would be what will Pit Boss do IF mother board and a boat load of parts dont fix the issue? will they issue a new grill or are yu basically SOL?

Was just advised as I called in for info about motherboard. I was told they were in-stock but that wasnt true. Was advised they've been OOS for a while and nobody knows when they will be in. No more stock of the unit in the stores in a 70 mile radius so Im SOL. I buy a new unit and it doesnt work.

Worse kind of crap that can happen when you buy something new and yu know there isnt any back up to exchange to, so I have to suck it up. Oh well life on lifes terms. Maybe one day I'll be able to have the pellet grill experience , until then back to the wood and charcoal cookers. Short lived thrill of ownership. Well I guess this is all for now. Enjoy them p/grills & smokers this Memorial day & summer season.

🥩🍔🍗🌭

Latest Discussions

Back