New member Pit Boss 1150

Cdunc

Reaction score
I just purchased the 1150 from Lowes last week, she is a big girl!

Tried baby back ribs yesterday using 321 method, 3 at 225, 2 at 250 and 1 at 275. Results were disappointing. They were not fall off the bone and kinda dry. I was using a recipe a friend gave me, he has a different brand pellet grill, kinda rhymes with anger.;)

I will spend some time hunting the forums to see what I did wrong.

321 method. Think in steps instead of times.
3. SMOKE, color/bark
2. Wrap in foil with moisturizers. Cook until tender. I go by flex.
1. Open sauce/dust let set.
Times and temps in smoke cooking are suggestions.

Tried baby back ribs yesterday using 321 method, 3 at 225, 2 at 250 and 1 at 275. Results were disappointing. They were not fall off the bone and kinda dry. I was using a recipe a friend gave me, he has a different brand pellet grill, kinda rhymes with anger.;)

Just keep on smoking, try different techniques, remember what worked and what didn’t.

Cdunc, I also have a Pit Boss 1150. I have never had the 3-2-1 method work. That method overcooks them, in my opinion. I smoke them on P4 for 30 minutes, then raise the temp to 225 for one hour. 30 minutes into that hour, I spritz them with a combination of apple cider vinegar (1/3) and apple juice (2/3). At the end of that hour, I spritz them again and set a timer for one more hour, spritzing them at the half hour mark. At the end of that hour, I place them in a tin foil casserole tin, cover it with aluminum foil and set the timer for one hour. After that hour, the ribs should be done. If you want to put any kind of sauce on them, now is the time to do it and place them back on your Pit Boss, uncovered, for another hour. If you don't want any sauce, bring them in and enjoy!

Total time is 3 hours and 30 minutes, and they are the best ribs you ever smoked! I generally buy spare ribs, as they are cheaper than the St Louis style and baby back ribs, and you can cut your own spare ribs to make them St Louis style, cutting your price in half. I follow the same method with baby back ribs.

Lots of good suggestions, you just have to play around until you find the combination that works for you.

Welcome to the group from Texas!!
Roll that smoke 💨!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

.Cdunc, I also have a Pit Boss 1150. I have never had the 3-2-1 method work. That method overcooks them, in my opinion. I smoke them on P4 for 30 minutes, then raise the temp to 225 for one hour.

What is this P4 you speak of? Are there different settings for each number? I thought you had to go in and program the temps/times for up to a max of 8 settings. Like programming a thermostat for your house. I didn’t realize there were factory presets.

I experimented with a program set where i had it at 190 for 45 mins then 210 for 30 and back and forth a couple times like that. The graph from
the SmokeIT app showed that the up and down of burner temp didn’t stop the gradual increase of product temps, just a more gentle upward slope. meat was delicious and tender, had a montreal smoked meat bite to it when sliced thinly.

You gotta wrap them after 3 hours! Little bit of apple juice, honey, light brown sugar, and butter!make sure you flip them and put them back in the grill meat side down! Then unwrap them at 2hrs and hit them with sauce if you want and let it sauce up. Always look at the bone it will tell you a lot. If it’s twisting and not burnt your on the right track!

Latest Discussions

Back