New member from Canada

Smokestack

Reaction score
Not new to smoking but new to pellet grills. Just picked up a Laredo 1000 and am getting things sorted out. I already have a few questions. I tried doing some burgers at 225 with Pit Boss brand competition blend pellets. I never really got good smoke, and the temp varied from 215 to 235 and was never really consistent. When the temp was at 215-218, it did give good smoke but only once. Any suggestions appreciated!

Welcome
Temp variance isn't too bad, the more you use it the better it should get. If you leave it in the smoke setting for a little while you'll get more smoke then turn it up to cook them. Hickory and oak pellets will give a smokey taste if that's what your looking for or try a smoke tube or two.

Thanks Mike! I finally found some info on the S setting when the unit fires up.

what is the consensus on starting up and pre-heating before cooking at high temps? Start on S setting until heavy smoke clears, set temp to high? Or set temp to desired cook temp once smoke clears?

what is the consensus on starting up and pre-heating before cooking at high temps? Start on S setting until heavy smoke clears, set temp to high? Or set temp to desired cook temp once smoke clears?
I rarely cook above 250 on the pellet.

If I need to clean things, I'll start it on smoke with the sear grate open, and once it is a good flame, slide the grate, close the lid, set it to 350.

Not new to smoking but new to pellet grills. Just picked up a Laredo 1000 and am getting things sorted out. I already have a few questions. I tried doing some burgers at 225 with Pit Boss brand competition blend pellets. I never really got good smoke, and the temp varied from 215 to 235 and was never really consistent. When the temp was at 215-218, it did give good smoke but only once. Any suggestions appreciated!

Welcome . I'm also canadian ,new to the forum and recently bought a laredo 1000 too :). My experience with smokers is that I have owned an offset for 3 years now . My experience with that is that the best tasting barbecue comes from clear to nearly clear smoke. With my laredo I find for cooks that I want more smoky flavor I use "s" to start then kick it up to finish. For instance I recently cooked some chicken breat back attached . I used s for and hour then kicked them up to 400 to finished . Turned out amazing with a nice smoke infused taste deep into the meat. Maybe not as strong as my offset but decent enough and super convenient to not have to babysit a fire .

Canadians eh??? :p

1048551513-Funny-Canada-Snow-And-Cold-5.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back