New kc combo smoker temp fluctuating by 100 deg

Deadpool007

Reaction score
I recently bought a kc combo grill and am using the smoker for the first time. The temperature is set to 250 but goes as high as 350 which is ruining my cook. I read that a 50 deg difference is normal. I have the flame broiler closed. It seems that when fan is on the temp jumps significantly. The cap is all the way open. Not sure if im doing somerhing wrong. Im am cooking a pork shoulder. Any help is greatly appreciated since this is my first cook.
Screenshot_20211113-094650_SMOKE IT.jpg

I would double check the inside temperature with a oven thermometer or a good wifi thermometer. Pit Boss probes are know to be inaccurate.

Ill try that next time but I think the inside smoker temp did reach 351 when i set it to 250 because the meat cooked alot faster then expected... whats weird is once i took meat out and wraped it while leaving smoker on with door open, I set time to 275 then closed door and the highest it went up to was 305 for remainder of cook.

Ill try that next time but I think the inside smoker temp did reach 351 when i set it to 250 because the meat cooked alot faster then expected... whats weird is once i took meat out and wraped it while leaving smoker on with door open, I set time to 275 then closed door and the highest it went up to was 305 for remainder of cook.
I'm having the same issue. Have you found out how to correct it?

I don't have a KC but mine does have a PID controller, and it does learn as you use it more.So it should get better as Sparky said.
OK folks I had to take a dive into what exactly a PID controller is/does. Wikipedia says

"A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller or three-term controller) is a control loop mechanism employing feedback that is widely used in industrial control systems and a variety of other applications requiring continuously modulated control."

And then, more relatable to me, it goes on to say,

"In practical terms, PID automatically applies an accurate and responsive correction to a control function. An everyday example is the cruise control on a car, where ascending a hill would lower speed if constant engine power were applied."

Do I read this then that the if the temp is set at 225 that the Pit Boss learns over time at what rate it needs to feed pellets to keep this internal temperature?

If so, how does it deal with ambient temperature? Especially over time.

For example say I'm smoking all winter and the PID adjusts it feed rate for that. But then spring/summer come and it's a new ball game. Do I assume that the PID will notice it heating up more quickly and scale back the pellet feed?

OK folks I had to take a dive into what exactly a PID controller is/does. Wikipedia says

"A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller or three-term controller) is a control loop mechanism employing feedback that is widely used in industrial control systems and a variety of other applications requiring continuously modulated control."

And then, more relatable to me, it goes on to say,

"In practical terms, PID automatically applies an accurate and responsive correction to a control function. An everyday example is the cruise control on a car, where ascending a hill would lower speed if constant engine power were applied."

Do I read this then that the if the temp is set at 225 that the Pit Boss learns over time at what rate it needs to feed pellets to keep this internal temperature?

If so, how does it deal with ambient temperature? Especially over time.

For example say I'm smoking all winter and the PID adjusts it feed rate for that. But then spring/summer come and it's a new ball game. Do I assume that the PID will notice it heating up more quickly and scale back the pellet feed?
Interesting thought about the winter and summer. I would think it would, but the only reason I say that is because I haven't noticed a big difference. A PID controller is constantly monitoring and adjusting so it would make sense if it adjusts for warm or cold weather.

Interesting thought about the winter and summer. I would think it would, but the only reason I say that is because I haven't noticed a big difference. A PID controller is constantly monitoring and adjusting so it would make sense if it adjusts for warm or cold weather.
If that's the case, maybe this would partially explain the erratic behavior reported by some. For example you've been smoking in cold weather when suddenly a nice warm day shows up so you go for a cook. In the meanwhile the Pit Boss has acclimated to performing in cold temps and feeds pellets according. And vice versa.

Latest Discussions

Back