New KC Combo Platinum 4 in 1 - need assistance

dokopnyi

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the Pit Boss brand and purchased a KC Combo platinum 4 in 1 (not the tower).

I had some questions and I thought I would speak with some experienced folks, I logged a support ticket regarding this as well, but haven't heard back yet.

I built out the grill the day before yesterday and haven't used it. Building was a cinch. Unfortunately, I think I may have 3 issues and would like some feedback.

1. On the Griddle portion, there was a fine metal dust that was in the shrink wrap bag. When I lifted the griddle, these small metal pellets were falling out. I am not sure if this is normal?

2. Between the hopper and actual grill, a piece of white insulation fell out, has this happened to any of you?

3. The ash brush, cleaner, makes a horrible metal on metal squeaking sound when pulling or pushing the lever, and it sticks.

I have included pictures of all and a short video of the ash cleaner. Could someone give me some insight? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1132.mpg
    2.7 MB
Well If I was you I would take that grill back to where you bought it. The reason for one that ash cleaner does not sound like the factory did the right thing. You have to remember these new platinum grills were 100% made in China and the factory was shutdown during Covid so now they are rushing to push these grills out. Quality is being lost due to it IMHO.

Unfortunately, I already threw away the packaging due to the limited area I had to work with. I got it from Walmart. I don't have a truck and had to get someone else to pick it up 30 minutes out of town with me. Would walmart be able to just come out and swap it for me?

Unfortunately, I already threw away the packaging due to the limited area I had to work with. I got it from Walmart. I don't have a truck and had to get someone else to pick it up 30 minutes out of town with me. Would walmart be able to just come out and swap it for me?

unfortunately Walmart will not take it back due to the packaging is gone. I would really get on Pit Boss about this and just keep calling them and calling them. Post the pictures on their Facebook and Twitter page when they see that crappy quality they will respond. Social media is king and they cannot afford bad reviews on there new line of grills.

Actually Walmart will take it even if the packaging is gone... I just spoke to PitBoss over the phone with the issue I'm having on the ash building up and eventually catching the pellets in the auger on fire... Pitboss said the ash cleaning system might be defected and since they have no parts for these grill right now.. because of how new they are to return it to Walmart for a new one. I then called Walmart and ask if this was even possible since I've bought the grill on memorial day and have used it a couple of time and no longer had the box... They told me the grill has a 90 days return policy and that in could be exchange for a new one or get my money back... I'll be doing so in a day or 2.. I'll provide a update if successful in exchanging for a new one..

Actually Walmart will take it even if the packaging is gone... I just spoke to PitBoss over the phone with the issue I'm having on the ash building up and eventually catching the pellets in the auger on fire... Pitboss said the ash cleaning system might be defected and since they have no parts for these grill right now.. because of how new they are to return it to Walmart for a new one. I then called Walmart and ask if this was even possible since I've bought the grill on memorial day and have used it a couple of time and no longer had the box... They told me the grill has a 90 days return policy and that in could be exchange for a new one or get my money back... I'll be doing so in a day or 2.. I'll provide a update if successful in exchanging for a new one..

That is good news that your Walmart some Walmart handle there return policies different. My friend return his LockHart they told him as long he has original packaging he can exchange or get refund. He ended buying a Green Mountain grill instead.

Hi All,

Wanted to follow up and provide an update:
- The PitBoss twitter responded to me, but after I had already called multiple times
- Finally got a service agent who seemed eager to help me and knew what he was talking about

For each issue:
- The told me the metal filing would burn off, and that was normal
- For the squeaking noise on the brush, it was recommended to use a high temp capable oil (I used peanut) to grease it down, it helped a lot
- For the insulation, they are shipping me a new insulation that I need to put on manually to replace the old torn one. I was cleared to use it even with the torn insulation

I've done a couple smokes since, and am beyond ecstatic with the results.

I know a lot of people complain about "lack of smoke", but that wasn't my findings. The smoke seemed very mild, but the smoke rings on my food was incredible.

I have a picture of my ribs and rib tips from Sunday
IMG_1246.JPG

Thank you all for your time and effort to assist, I really do appreciate it and I hope you and your families are doing well.

I am also satisfied with the smoke ring. Both my wife & daughter are not fans of heavy smoked meats

On the metal pellets pretty sure that’s cast iron for the griddle probably just left over from the molding process I had them to I just shook it and turned it different directions until they all fell out. It’s a ceramic and it won’t burn off though.

Latest Discussions

Back