new 820 sportsman owner

t-roy

Reaction score
Just got mine on the 4th and got is all burned in and seasoned. Started with 4 pork tenderloins and 3 chicken breast. One thing I had a problem with was getting the barrel hot enough. The controller said 225 but would drop to 195 and swing to 300. The temp probes in the meat never got a good reading but the meat was done. Im going to try again saturday with some burgers and see what happens. Im sure I will get better at it the more I use it. I did buy a good thermometer and will try that. I dont think I let it warm up enough but the temp sensor said it was close to 300 after about 10 minutes. Gonna give it more time to heat. One thing I did do is adjust the igniter rod as it was hardly visible. Got it out to almost 1/2" and looks like most of the you tube vids I have been seeing. Anyway cant wait to fire it up again! The good thing is IO got it for a little of nothing with gifts cards I was given. The grill and a 20 lb. bag of pellets and an extra temp probe for $76 out the door and it was already assembled.

Just got mine on the 4th and got is all burned in and seasoned. Started with 4 pork tenderloins and 3 chicken breast. One thing I had a problem with was getting the barrel hot enough. The controller said 225 but would drop to 195 and swing to 300. The temp probes in the meat never got a good reading but the meat was done. Im going to try again saturday with some burgers and see what happens. Im sure I will get better at it the more I use it. I did buy a good thermometer and will try that. I dont think I let it warm up enough but the temp sensor said it was close to 300 after about 10 minutes. Gonna give it more time to heat. One thing I did do is adjust the igniter rod as it was hardly visible. Got it out to almost 1/2" and looks like most of the you tube vids I have been seeing. Anyway cant wait to fire it up again! The good thing is IO got it for a little of nothing with gifts cards I was given. The grill and a 20 lb. bag of pellets and an extra temp probe for $76 out the door and it was already assembled.
Welcome to the group!!
Roll that smoke 💨 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸!!

Thanks! Im not new to smokers except pellet grills so I hope I can get this working good. Cant find anything out about the flew cap. I had mine open 1/2" above the pipe but this time im going almost wide open and see if I can get some air to move better and maybe get the temp up in the barrel and,or drop down to P3 to move more pellets also.

Thanks! Im not new to smokers except pellet grills so I hope I can get this working good. Cant find anything out about the flew cap. I had mine open 1/2" above the pipe but this time im going almost wide open and see if I can get some air to move better and maybe get the temp up in the barrel and,or drop down to P3 to move more pellets also.
Wide open will definitely give you more air flow

Thanks! I work at a store that sells tragers, Campchef and use to sell pit boss and I think I got the last one in the company!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions

Back