Need Smoked whole chicken tips

kmac44

Reaction score
Smoked a whole chicken in PBV4PS2 and while the chicken meat came out delicious the skin was tough and chewy. I did spray Canola oil on the skin during the process, I saw that suggestion on a Youtube video but the skin was still tough and chewy. Any suggestions on how to improve skin texture? I had water in the pan the entire cook. TIA

On Lockhart--I spatchcock mine. Usually @ 3-1/2-4 hrs at 225. Cooked off-center.
Then crank the heat to 300.
Flip over a couple of times for about 30 mins total.
Higher heat crisps skin when turned down to heat side.
Internal final temp--180 breasts 190 legs/thighs (These are higher than any guide I have, but works for me!)

All Juicy and breasts not dried out!

That makes a lot of sense to crank up the heat for crispy skin as well as the final temps. Thanks!

My brother tried deep frying a turkey for thanksgiving, a couple days after I made the family a spatchcock one. Wife said I am not allowed to make one any other way EVER again

I've tried whole chickens a few ways. Spatchcock is good, but not the only way.

I like to brine my whole chickens, and then leave them "sitting" on an oven roaster in the garage fridge for at least 24 hours.

About an hour before they go on the smoker, or the gasser, or the spit I take them out of of the chill box and let them warm up a little.

I've been doing "beer can style" for years, and they turn out excellent.

I use olive Oil on the skin with whatever spices is up next.

good luck

I like to brine my whole chickens, and then leave them "sitting" on an oven roaster in the garage fridge for at least 24 hours.

About an hour before they go on the smoker, or the gasser, or the spit I take them out of of the chill box and let them warm up a little.

good luck
I'll try this as well. You go higher temps also?

good luck
Brine is huge, forgot to mention that. Beer can is the first way I ever grilled a chicken. You hit all the points necessary for a good bird!

I have never had a problem with chicken or getting the skin crispy.
In fact a couple weeks ago the family was away so I did some leg quarters for myself and just to experiment with some flavors.
Put them on at 4:00 PM I used canola for binder and seasoned.
At 6:00 ish I cranked it up to 400* to finish and get the skin done good, ( I had taken most of the pellets out of the hopper )
The wife called to chat and I guess I fell asleep on the couch.
About 10:30 PM ish I woke up and my dog was looking at me, I forgot to feed him, and I thought oh crap! the chicken!
I went outside to the grill to find an ERR code, ( ran out of pellets ) and the internal temps now were at 110*.
I took them inside and nuked one to try, It was very good! The skin was done well!
The next couple days I nuked them and ate them, these were the best leg quarters I have had in a long time. Done to perfection!
I don't know if I can duplicate that recipe ( I don't know when it ran out of pellets and shut down ).
Oh, there was a bottle of wine or more in this recipe, but not for the chicken.
Good times!

The traditional rule of thumb has always been to take chicken thighs and legs to 170 or 175 degrees, but I've found that cooking them until they reach almost 195 degrees gives me better tasting chicken whether it's in the oven or on a grill (or smoker). And, it gets rid of more of the fat which helps to crisp the skin. The key is to bring them up to temperature slowly as opposed to blasting them with heat.

At least, that's what works for me.

I'll try this as well. You go higher temps also?

for "beer can" I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Can-Roaster-Stainless-Instructions/dp/B0000TPCZY

Temps vary. If I want lots of smoke flavor and have a lot of time, I'll use the pit boss and smoke them slower.

If I want to cook dinner fast, I use my Genesis E 330. start at 450 for 15 mins, drop the heat to 400 for 30 mins, then 375 for another 30 mins or so till temps are done. This style is good, but not smoky, and the skin is OK.

On the pit boss, I start them at 300 and let them go for a good 90 mins or more then I kick up the temp to 350, which on mine is really 380F. to ensure they are cooked through. Once they get to 170 in the thigh I bring the temp down and let them "rest" in the smoker just to get a bit more smoke.

The crispiest chicken is beer can style on my BGE and it gets a decent smoke flavor. Not nearly as much as the PB. I start them at 450, and then let the temp settle down to 375 which takes a good 20 mins, then hold 375 for an hour, and then choke it down so the temp gets to 325.

If it were just me eating, I would just go with leg quarters and slow smoke them on the PB, but one of my kids loves chicken breast so we do a lot of whole chicken

On Lockhart--I spatchcock mine. Usually @ 3-1/2-4 hrs at 225. Cooked off-center.
Then crank the heat to 300.
Flip over a couple of times for about 30 mins total.
Higher heat crisps skin when turned down to heat side.
Internal final temp--180 breasts 190 legs/thighs (These are higher than any guide I have, but works for me!)

All Juicy and breasts not dried out!
Ok I'm new so I'll ask...what is Spatchock???

Latest Discussions

Back