Navigator 1150 - Rec Tec Upgrade

Murph

Reaction score
I just bought a PB Navigator 1150 and decided to upgrade the controller to the Rec Tec wifi PID controller before I even used it.

I didn't want to cut the wires off of the PB controller so I contacted Smokedaddys and they shipped me new connectors with everything needed to make new wires for the Rec Tec.

I ordered 18 awg and 20 awg wire from Amazon along with the crimping tool needed for the pins.

I used an aluminum plate as a backing for the Rec Tec Controller. All painted black. Even the edges of the RT controller.

I soldered the female wire disconnects and heat shrinked them.

Here are some pics

20200822_091233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now here is the finished product. Oh... i also used clear silicone to seal the controller and the plate.

20200822_154513.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked great. Im not sure if the temp probe is bad or not. There were five different temps inside of the smoker. 3 on bottom grates. Two on top shelf. The PB temp probe stated one temp and the others were higher. Ranging from 50 degrees higher to 150 degrees higher. Understand this was during the initial start up where you increase the temp by 50 degrees every 15-30 minutes...burn off.

When the PB temp probe read 400.. the right side read 600 on my inkbird... wow.

When I cooked my steaks and chicken breast, the temps were only off 50 degrees. So I'm not sure if the PB temp probe is bad or not

It worked great. Im not sure if the temp probe is bad or not. There were five different temps inside of the smoker. 3 on bottom grates. Two on top shelf. The PB temp probe stated one temp and the others were higher. Ranging from 50 degrees higher to 150 degrees higher. Understand this was during the initial start up where you increase the temp by 50 degrees every 15-30 minutes...burn off.

When the PB temp probe read 400.. the right side read 600 on my inkbird... wow.

When I cooked my steaks and chicken breast, the temps were only off 50 degrees. So I'm not sure if the PB temp probe is bad or not

Murph,

Interesting I am using the RTD probe that came with my Savannah Stoker controller, but Rec-Tec supplied me with a RTD probe. So did Rec-Tec just send you the controller without the RTD Probe?

are you willing to help a brother out?.....lol

what did you pay for your controller? That is odd why they did not include the RTD probe. Did you tell them you were adding it to a Pit Boss grill?

I did tell them and I paid 199

How is your Rec-Tec controller doing? Sorry for the late reply, but so I paid $229 so I guess you have to tell them you want the RTD probe w/ the controller.

Honestly I would not trust the RTD probe that Pit Boss uses try to purchase one from smokedaddy or amazon.

Thanks.
The RT controller is working great. Im not sure if the RTD is really bad. I am noticing an increase in temp as you move right from the RTD.

Im smoking a brisket right now. On Lo. RTD reads 180. The first inkbird probe reads 196 which was placed directly to the right of the smokers RTD (about 4 inches). Then the second probe was placed to the right of the first probe in the last third of the smoker and it was reading 217.

I've noticed as I increase the temp the corresponding inkbird temp probs get exponentially higher. With the hottest temps on the far right of the grill.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the deflector plate that came with my grill?

Thanks.
The RT controller is working great. Im not sure if the RTD is really bad. I am noticing an increase in temp as you move right from the RTD.

Im smoking a brisket right now. On Lo. RTD reads 180. The first inkbird probe reads 196 which was placed directly to the right of the smokers RTD (about 4 inches). Then the second probe was placed to the right of the first probe in the last third of the smoker and it was reading 217.

I've noticed as I increase the temp the corresponding inkbird temp probs get exponentially higher. With the hottest temps on the far right of the grill.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the deflector plate that came with my grill?
[/QUOTE

I am doing ribs right now and I am in my last hour at 225. My inkbird that is next to the RTD probe reads 227 and the controller reads 224 right now. I move the probe to the far right at the end of the grill under the smoke stack exhaust hole the the probe reads 236 and Rec-Tec controller reads 225 now.

Yes the deflector plate is horrible as it is flimsy aluminum, but if you remove it there is some improvement not much. I have mention that I worked with the guy at this machine shop to make one of steel, but actually there was not improvement with it so there is no reason to spend the money on it.

Latest Discussions

Back