Moving the Sear Plate

marmadmax

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Pit Boss grill. I notice that a few of the models come with an external handle that can be used to open/close the sear plate. On the models that do not have the arm, how does one move the sear plate when the grill is hot without removing one of the grates? Thanks in advance for a reply(s).

I use a long handled flat tip screwdriver which works great. I just place it through the grate openings as I slide it. I have to use several different grate slots as it moves but it takes less than probably 10 seconds.

I have seen some mods where people drilled holes in the side of their grill and added the wire handle. One fellow was all sorts of upscale and used a rifle cleaning rod and a screw to go through a newly-threaded top plate.

I am looking at getting a Pit Boss grill. I notice that a few of the models come with an external handle that can be used to open/close the sear plate. On the models that do not have the arm, how does one move the sear plate when the grill is hot without removing one of the grates? Thanks in advance for a reply(s).

Welcome to the forum! Have you decided on a model yet?

Mine is an older model that doesn't have the sear plate but I have seen videos where people slide it open with a long fork or tongs, seems to work fairly well.

Watch here and fast forward to about 4:12

here you go on modifying it.

Latest Discussions

Back