Mods to the PBV4PS2

DanStealth

Reaction score
I ended up doing some mods to my PBV4PS2.

i added a analog thermometer to replace the useless pitboss logo. Not sure why this wasn’t like this from factory, it’s a cheap feature and in my opinion makes the smoker look way better. Plus I don’t really trust the factory thermostat after this weeks cook. I had my thermpro in there and it showed a good 10-20 degrees less than what the controller was showing. I had it set to 225 and it never went close to it. Always stayed in the mid 210’s. When I bumped it up to 250 it was at 225-230.
E4425DE9-E00F-4E1A-98F4-7D90E4592480.jpeg

Also to be fair, the door wasn’t exactly the best in QA as it was a pretty big gap in the top corner. Other people have complained and there are options but trying to adjust the door didn’t really fix it. I don’t want to stick pieces of metal in different spots to get it to work correctly. The gasket that comes with it is tiny so I ended up using a roll of smoker gasket that I had to help seal it.
That and resetting the latch handle now creates a really snug and tight fit. Hopefully this helps with the temps difference. I know the controller prob is in the back, so that might be the reason why the temps showed higher, and my thermpro probe was in the middle of the cabinet.
A9A397A5-9481-48F8-AE83-779100C5BCA0.jpeg

Nice. Which analog thermometer did you get? How far does the probe extend into the cabinet?
BBQ Grill Temperature Gauge Waterproof Large Face for Kamado Joe Barbecue Charcoal Grill Stainless Steel 150-900°F Cooking Thermometer for Oven Wood Stove Accessories Tool Set Up Easy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX9T9F...abc_HAEK7044ZVHY123G0XT1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are a ton of them but this looked like it would fit and came with the gasket. It also goes about 2 inches into the smoker and sits right above the top grate.

I might return it if I find a better one but this one was dead accurate when I tested it with boiling water and my digital one so

I ended up doing some mods to my PBV4PS2.

i added a analog thermometer to replace the useless pitboss logo. Not sure why this wasn’t like this from factory, it’s a cheap feature and in my opinion makes the smoker look way better. Plus I don’t really trust the factory thermostat after this weeks cook. I had my thermpro in there and it showed a good 10-20 degrees less than what the controller was showing. I had it set to 225 and it never went close to it. Always stayed in the mid 210’s. When I bumped it up to 250 it was at 225-230.
View attachment 1324

Also to be fair, the door wasn’t exactly the best in QA as it was a pretty big gap in the top corner. Other people have complained and there are options but trying to adjust the door didn’t really fix it. I don’t want to stick pieces of metal in different spots to get it to work correctly. The gasket that comes with it is tiny so I ended up using a roll of smoker gasket that I had to help seal it.
That and resetting the latch handle now creates a really snug and tight fit. Hopefully this helps with the temps difference. I know the controller prob is in the back, so that might be the reason why the temps showed higher, and my thermpro probe was in the middle of the cabinet.
View attachment 1325
I'm a little ocd I guess when it comes to knowing pit Temps. I added brackets to use probe 1 and 2 as right and left pit temp probes on my 1150 and added 4 thermometers last cook used one on the rack with a brisket. So. Left side runs 15 deg hotter than right, with the temp set at 260 the rack was 240, the lower therms read 225 and 230 the probes displayed 240- 255 and the upper therms read 270. So 260 is my setting to get 225. But this 14 hr brisket turned out great.

Attachments

• 20210702_220730.jpg
    20210702_220730.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210618_201428.jpg
    20210618_201428.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210703_082633.jpg
    20210703_082633.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 138
That's because the TC is in the back right corner against the metal. From my testing....if you put that probe in the middle of the middle grate then it would be the correct temperature in the center. The bottom is hotter near the flame....the top can be hotter due to air flow....so the cabinet is on average about +/- 15 degs from top to bottom.

The Rec Tec controller I installed has an RTD Bias Offset. I put 3 probes across the center rack and measured the average and offset the main RTD measurement by this offset...I believe it was about 12 degs. So now my main temp on the controller reads what the center rack reads.

Wish PitBoss would add this function....along with 5 deg increments and a more aggressive PID algorithm. The Rec Tec Controller does all of this and more....it makes this smoker the best on the market under $400...period.

That's because the TC is in the back right corner against the metal. From my testing....if you put that probe in the middle of the middle grate then it would be the correct temperature in the center. The bottom is hotter near the flame....the top can be hotter due to air flow....so the cabinet is on average about +/- 15 degs from top to bottom.

The Rec Tec controller I installed has an RTD Bias Offset. I put 3 probes across the center rack and measured the average and offset the main RTD measurement by this offset...I believe it was about 12 degs. So now my main temp on the controller reads what the center rack reads.

Wish PitBoss would add this function....along with 5 deg increments and a more aggressive PID algorithm. The Rec Tec Controller does all of this and more....it makes this smoker the best on the market under $400...period.
How does one order that controller without owning that brand?

that look nice there good idea . its always good a have a back up to check my meat temp probe is off a bit so I double check that with other probes I might do that to mine

Hey,

I read your thread on mods you did on the PBV4PS2 and just want to know the results you got after them. I have a long tale of woe and heart ache with the PB1150PS2 that ultimately ended in a RMA return at Lowes. I’m looking in to the vertical but want to know I’m not going to be doing the same song and dance. Thank you very much.

V/R
John T. Simmons
SSG/USA
744TH OD CO (EOD)

Was supposed to be a conversation but it won’t let me for some reason

Honestly the more I’ve used it the better it’s gotten, I have noticed that I do have to run the smoker lower temp than it says. It seems to get hotter inside than it registers

Honestly the more I’ve used it the better it’s gotten, I have noticed that I do have to run the smoker lower temp than it says. It seems to get hotter inside than it registers
What about temp stability? What bout temperature variation across the cooking area?

With a vertical it will be a little warmer at the bottom rack near the fire pot and the top rack since heat rises. Racks 2 and 3 during a smoke the temp will almost equal my separate Wi-Fi temps, once it stabilizes.

Latest Discussions

Back