Meat smoking position on 1150?

Usmc93

Reaction score
What’s up guys. Currently waiting for my controller to be returned to me from pitboss....in the meantime I figured I’d ask you guys a question.

Ive noticed on my 1150 the right side gets a lot warmer than the left side. The ribs I placed on the right were done probably at least 30 min before the ribs on the left.

This limits my ability to utilize the full bottom rack. If I cook on the left it’s not nearly as hot and the middle above the burner is way too hot and the right is somewhere in between....I don’t even have the top rack in because it gets in the way when I’m trying to flip wings or ribs or brisket over.

what do you guys find works best??? Should I place aluminum foil between the broiler and the bottom rack? Should I leave the broiler vent closed now that my controller should be fixed?

I don’t want to continue cooking only on one side.

You should always leave the broiler slide cover closed!
You could lay the ribs lengthwise so part is on the left and part is on the right.
If you foil the broiler plate make sure you tuck the foil down nice and snug, make sure the grease can run down the gutters without obstruction from the foil, you want the grease to drain down to the drip bucket and not get blocked and run into the underbelly.

You leave your slide closed all the time? I’ve seen people say open and others say to close it. The reason I didn’t try it before was I couldn’t get any temps below 300 with the messed up controller so closing the vent just made it harder

You leave your slide closed all the time? I’ve seen people say open and others say to close it. The reason I didn’t try it before was I couldn’t get any temps below 300 with the messed up controller so closing the vent just made it harder
yes,
you are talking about the flame broiler slide cover right?
the thing you would slide open to expose the flames?
you should always leave that closed unless you are going to SEAR something over the open flame.
I think we are talking about the same thing.

this is the thing you are talking about right?
except yours would have slots in it?
keep it closed!!
20210115_115452.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back