Meat looks raw!

Abqnurse

Reaction score
I have the cabinet smoker with the grill underneath. When I smoke things they turn out very well, but look raw. I cook them to the proper internal temperature but the outside of the meat doesn't get a good bark to it what am I doing wrong?

I suggest using a different thermometer. I assume you are using the one that came with the Pit Boss? Do you have the Lockhart? The meat should not look raw. I have found the meat probes that come to with the Pit Boss to be way off and they are garbage. Mine reads anywhere from 50-100 degrees higher than what it should so I do not use it anymore and use a Bluetooth thermometer. Bark turns out decent but you will not get the same bark that you get from a stick burner.

Welcome to the forum @Abqnurse ? - Can you post an example of what you've smoked? What temp? Pellets? How long?

20201028_183731.jpg

So I cooked until 165 or 168 degrees by a separate Bluetooth probe. This time I didn't use a rub. The skin is thick, but the meat was fantastic. Just doesn't look like it's like it to, you know?

Should I smoke at a higher temperature and get it done quickly.. Would that increase the bark?

Smoking chicken does intend to leave a pinkish look to the meat especially around the bone as long as the meat does not feel slimy or as rubber type feel to it then cooking it to 165 - 175 you will be good.

If am am cooking chicken with skin I will usually crank up the temp to 300 or so for a while until the skin is crispy.

I have the cabinet smoker with the grill underneath. When I smoke things they turn out very well, but look raw. I cook them to the proper internal temperature but the outside of the meat doesn't get a good bark to it what am I doing wrong?
That's probably the smoke ring if along the outer 1/2" of meat. That's the way it's supposed to look.

Probably nothing, unless you crank up the temp say a roast or a chicken/ turkey to at least 350F you won't get the Browning you desire. Another way is to brasie say a roast in a very hot cast iron pan before or after smoking to get that nice crust. For Turkey if your smoker has trouble achieving 350F , don't be afraid to finish it in the oven, brown as desired!

I suggest using a different thermometer. I assume you are using the one that came with the Pit Boss? Do you have the Lockhart? The meat should not look raw. I have found the meat probes that come to with the Pit Boss to be way off and they are garbage. Mine reads anywhere from 50-100 degrees higher than what it should so I do not use it anymore and use a Bluetooth thermometer. Bark turns out decent but you will not get the same bark that you get from a stick burner.
That's scary, I've relied on that thermometer for my cooks. Luckily I also have instant read thermometer

I've stated that the door and probe supplied are junk several times in pit boss forums, so reading about this is kinda annoying! DON'T USE THEM AT ALL! NOT EVEN CLOSE TO REALITY! Ok I'm done now... Digital remote probe... Amazon.ca four probe, the best for a smoker...

Latest Discussions

Back