Make your own rub

DaveXDm9

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone make their own rub? What is your secret recipe as I have notice it is getting popular now that everyone is making rub.

Never tried it. I usually pick up the Pit Boss rubs but have recently seen Meat Church rubs in Ace Hardware. Right now I have over 20 different rubs so I am trying to slow down on buying them and use some up.

I like to watch this guy

Never tried it. I usually pick up the Pit Boss rubs but have recently seen Meat Church rubs in Ace Hardware. Right now I have over 20 different rubs so I am trying to slow down on buying them and use some up.

I like to watch this guy

You sound like my daughter. She has about that many also.

On my brisket I use 1/2 cup coarse black pepper, 1/4 cup Kosher salt, 1/8 cup granulated garlic powder and 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper. This seems to work well with brisket and have a good pepper flavor. It’s simple and works

I like to watch this guy

thanks for the site always looking for new things to do.

Does anyone make their own rub? What is your secret recipe as I have notice it is getting popular now that everyone is making rub.
Yes and no. There are some very good rub recipes in Steven Raichlen's book (bbq bible). I use his Memphis style rub recipe and occasionally his Jamaican rub & sauce recipe. The Jamaican recipe is phenomenal in my opinion, but it uses a lot of fresh ingredients so is more difficult and time consuming to make. It is also fairly spicy and is a bit too hot for my wife.

I used to make my rubs too but have gotten lazy. There are so many damn good rubs out there now as well. When I was making them, I started putting weird stuff in to make them taste different. I don't think the wife approved. :LOL:

I make my own, but it's simple. Just salt and pepper. 1/2 and 1/2 Kosher salt and medium ground pepper with a light coat of olive oil to make it stick. I've tried making other rubs, and have tried many pre-made rubs. I always come back to salt and pepper. I get the most compliments using salt/pepper rub. Creates a nice bark and lets the meat do the talking. It's pretty common in Texas.

I make my own, but it's simple. Just salt and pepper. 1/2 and 1/2 Kosher salt and medium ground pepper with a light coat of olive oil to make it stick. I've tried making other rubs, and have tried many pre-made rubs. I always come back to salt and pepper. I get the most compliments using salt/pepper rub. Creates a nice bark and lets the meat do the talking. It's pretty common in Texas.
I am the same way with just a hint of minced garlic and onion. No powders or fine grain spices to keep the smoke out. Watching a lot of youtube BBQ videos, seeing people putting layers of multiple brands of rubs on their meats. Looks like a graham cracker crust. 😁 Wonder if they taste the delicious meat and smoke.

I use coarse ground pepper (50%), coarse sea salt (30%), granulated garlic (15%) and paprika (5%).

Attachments

• D3F34A91-A283-4091-83A9-1F384F63A2A6.jpeg
    D3F34A91-A283-4091-83A9-1F384F63A2A6.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 36
Magic Dust
Ingredients:
½ cup paprika
¼ cup kosher salt, finely ground
¼ cup sugar
2 tbs mustard powder
¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup ground cumin
2 tbs ground black pepper
¼ cup granulated garlic
2 tbs cayenne pepper
Directions:
Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.
Yield:
About 2 ½ cups

Magic Dust
Ingredients:
½ cup paprika
¼ cup kosher salt, finely ground
¼ cup sugar
2 tbs mustard powder
¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup ground cumin
2 tbs ground black pepper
¼ cup granulated garlic
2 tbs cayenne pepper
Directions:
Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.
Yield:
About 2 ½ cups
Friend posted this on another forum...pretty dang good!

Back