Looking to buy pit boss

You'll find that any brand will have their QA animals. I will admit that alot of the controller boards on Pit Bosses have seemed to go bad, but that just could be a bad supplier run (it happened on laptop harddrives & motherboards in the 2000's). Even waiting on parts, as I am, I'm rather happy with my purchase.
and if to go with something from here what would you advise?

So it’s been over a month from my last post. I still haven’t received my replacement controller.
Only buy one of these PB grills if you are ok upgrading the controller at additional cost. I have 4 YEARS left in my industry leading warranty and I just spent another $200 to replace the controller.
My claim has been open and unfulfilled for 2 months.

Just like all companies right now experiencing an impact from Covid - 19 and Pit Boss is dealing with as well since the grills are manufactured in China. There customer service was outstanding before Covid so this company has not been bad they just make poor decisions.

I replaced my controller fairly quickly with a Savannah Stoker controller since I prefer the size and design Pro Series 1100. The controller they have is crap, but it does work when it works.

The main problem I have with Pit Boss is why design a new grill like the Platinum Series and not focus on a PID controller for there current line up is beyond me. I just bought a Yoder 640 and it is night and day difference bought you pay the price for that quality. Pit Boss is going after a certain market and making an affordable pellet grill.

The Pro Series 1100 and Austin XL are the same grill, but different design. To me the Pro Series just has a shelf and different legs. What PB should have done is put a PID controller on the Pro Series sell it at $699 and on the Austin XL keep the same controller and sell it at $499.

There is nothing Pro about the Pro Series so it comes down to it. If you want a high quality pellet grill you need to pay for it and if you want low end pellet grill you pay that price.

I have had some quality issues with my Lockhart purchased this year. PB has replaced the control board, RID temp probe (still on backorder from PB--bought one from Amazon), and igniter.
I have cooked a few times on it since, including 1 long-burn of 6 hours, and I think my ERR issue is fixed for now. Not going to close out my trouble case until I am confident that it is fixed.

I think it is like any new model of anything like a car, the bugs have to be worked out. Then works great.

So it’s been over a month from my last post. I still haven’t received my replacement controller.
Only buy one of these PB grills if you are ok upgrading the controller at additional cost. I have 4 YEARS left in my industry leading warranty and I just spent another $200 to replace the controller.
My claim has been open and unfulfilled for 2 months.
welcome to the club. still waiting on replacement grates. cracked 3 in 3 weekends.

I have had some quality issues with my Lockhart purchased this year. PB has replaced the control board, RID temp probe (still on backorder from PB--bought one from Amazon), and igniter.
I have cooked a few times on it since, including 1 long-burn of 6 hours, and I think my ERR issue is fixed for now. Not going to close out my trouble case until I am confident that it is fixed.

I think it is like any new model of anything like a car, the bugs have to be worked out. Then works great.

Like a car well I say back in the 80's not now with new cars. The Platinum series is a disaster of a grill it is all over the net on the problems it is having right now. Pit Boss should not have invested into that style of a grill and should have stuck to the original line up and created a dominant PID controller.

Back