Looking to buy pit boss

Dgemc

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a pit boss and was wondering which one to buy, the 820 and the XL austin are priced within a couple of dollars, or the 1100 for a hundred more?

If their prices are the same, then I see this on sites where they are being sold.

820 vs 1000 sq. in
19lb vs 31lb hopper

So Pit Boss is banking on their pro controller to be "worth" 180 sq. in and 12 lbs in the hopper.

That's interesting. It looks like the 1100 has the same controller as the Austin XL.

Welcome to the forum @Dgemc - How many people do you plan on smoking for? I would probably go for the newer pro controller.

with the problems people are having with customer service. including me i would not recommend buying any of their products.

Last edited:
Don't buy either, Their customer service Sucks. I've been waiting over three weeks trying to get an answer to a problem. Nobody answers the Customer Service phone and they don't call back when you leave a phone number. Even went to RUNNINGS, where I bought the grill and they can't get an answer either. Salesman said he would get a hold of the company rep. Been over a week and they still have received no response. I should have spent the money and bought a Treager.

I am looking to purchase a pit boss and was wondering which one to buy, the 820 and the XL austin are priced within a couple of dollars, or the 1100 for a hundred more?
hello I got the 1100 pro love it.

Don’t buy a Pit Boss! My Austin XL is about 10 months old. When it works it’s great. But it doesn’t work more than it does. The 5 year warranty is worthless because their customer service is non existent. Literally 4 hours on hold. Nobody reads the online claims. My claim has been open for 3 weeks. I opened the parts they sent me today. They sent the wrong controller and didn’t send the igniter on the same order. This was to be my 3rd controller. My opinion is buy something else. Anything else. They might have been good at some point, but they are junk now. Try a Zgrill, or a Camp Chef, a Traeger, anything else.

Don’t buy a Pit Boss! My Austin XL is about 10 months old. When it works it’s great. But it doesn’t work more than it does. The 5 year warranty is worthless because their customer service is non existent. Literally 4 hours on hold. Nobody reads the online claims. My claim has been open for 3 weeks. I opened the parts they sent me today. They sent the wrong controller and didn’t send the igniter on the same order. This was to be my 3rd controller. My opinion is buy something else. Anything else. They might have been good at some point, but they are junk now. Try a Zgrill, or a Camp Chef, a Traeger, anything else.

To be honest the only thing that is crap on the Pit Boss is the controller that is it. The newer Pit Boss grills now use a 2 rpm auger motor and the heavy duty fan which is the same motor used ZGrill, Camp Chef, Traegers, Yoders, GMG, and others.

I have a Savannah Stoker controller I placed on my PB 1100 and I will put against any other Pellet grill out there. It sucks you have to spend additional $200 for the controller, but I like design and size of the PB 1100 and the hopper capacity so I am fine with the extra spend.

Quick note (real world experience) on PB's Customer Support.

I called them today (Sunday) ~11:30am CST. Left my callback number. They called me back in less than 15 minutes. As I only bought my Austin XL on June 13th, I hadn't registered it yet even. I registered it while we were on the phone, and after explaining what was going on, he put in an order to send out a new controller board.

As for the comment about the 1100 that someone owns. I bought the Austin XL because it's right around the same size, but the Austin XL has what looks like a sturdier base. Yes, I had problems with it to begin with, but I'll bet it will be fine once the controller board is replaced (else, I'll throw a PID controller in it).

Nice to meet you all. Same question, guys. Planning on cooking for 8-10 people (on special occasions) and 4 people as for daily (but I have a camado for that). The price does not matter. Looking for quality first of all. I was advised to try pitboss, but have not found it on any list).

Nice to meet you all. Same question, guys. Planning on cooking for 8-10 people (on special occasions) and 4 people as for daily (but I have a camado for that). The price does not matter. Looking for quality first of all. I was advised to try pitboss, but have not found it on any list).
You'll find that any brand will have their QA animals. I will admit that alot of the controller boards on Pit Bosses have seemed to go bad, but that just could be a bad supplier run (it happened on laptop harddrives & motherboards in the 2000's). Even waiting on parts, as I am, I'm rather happy with my purchase.

there product has a lot of features compared to others but at the current time their customer serivce is terrible. I did order some seasonings from them and they arrived in a week.

Latest Discussions

Back