Looking for offset converts....

jaybirdvol

Reaction score
Anyone on here a former offset stick burning "Pitt master" that is now sold on pellets? Got a Bruswick for Christmas as my first pellet smoker and am about ready to take it to the recycling center. Looking for tips to talk me out of giving up. I knew I'd be giving up SOME of the wood smoke flavor for convenience. To that point, it has been incredibly easy to use versus drying and splitting wood for years, always having to closely maintain a fire so I don't over smoke. Also, the meat has been super moist and looks incredible with decent bark and beautiful smoke ring (which I know has no effect on taste) . I could shoot YouTube videos all day making it LOOK like the greatest smoker ever. The problem is everything I've done thus far might as well have been cooked in the oven as far as TASTE goes. Feels like I've given up ALL wood flavor, not just a little. Talk me off the ledge pellet pros!

try putting a smoke tube in if you want more flavor or lower the temp for longer cook time try different brands of pellets those are thing that I have done

I use a smoke tube and run the first hour or two on smoke. Then set my temps to cook at and wait for my Inkbird temp probes to notify me it's done.
It doesn't match my offset flavor but is close.

I too am a recent covert from a manual/stand alone smoker, to these pellet smokers. Yesterday I smoked brisket, that came out as close to perfect as I've ever had, BUT, like the OP, the lack of smoked flavor is very noticeable... in fact my Wife brought it up before I did! :eek:

Glad I saw this thread, as it basically says what I suspected. Aside from smoking fowl, all of my smoking is done with pecan, as it has a milder "bite" than most, but always seems to bring out more flavor in the foods it's used on. That being said, I suspect that at least in my case, switching to a more "harsh" smokes such as hickory, oak, of even mesquite would at least help in this area. I'll also look into the smoke tubes!

I have been using smoke mode for the first part of my cooks. A few days ago I was doing my first large piece of meat (pork butt). I tried to use a smoke tube, but after a half hour it went out leaving 90% of the tube UN-burned. How do you pack and light your tubes to keep it going?

Are used two smoke tubes. I use a small propane torch to like the tubes. I let them burn for a couple minutes, blow them out, put the lids on them and then put them in the Pit boss

I have been using smoke mode for the first part of my cooks. A few days ago I was doing my first large piece of meat (pork butt). I tried to use a smoke tube, but after a half hour it went out leaving 90% of the tube UN-burned. How do you pack and light your tubes to keep it going?
I pack the pellets in by smacking the tube on the ground a little then refilling it.
I light it with a heat gun on high, just hold it right at the top and it will start smoking like hell, then it will burst into flames.
Let it burn until it goes out on its own then lay it down gently in the place you want it.
Make sure you don't burn your place down with this method, it works but it can be dangerous.

I light it with a heat gun on high, just hold it right at the top and it will start smoking like hell, then it will burst into flames.
Let it burn until it goes out on its own
Will try this approach. I think I was too impatient with it, and placed it into the grill too soon.

pellet choice is a big thing to find your happy place for smoke flavor in a pellet smoker .and like they say low and slow is best

I felt the same way... I used smoke tubes... Which added a little more smoke flavor... But then I put lump charcoal and WOOD chunks in this pan and it gave it a lot more smoke taste but not overbearing...don"t fill with charcoal..it heat up to much...I just add when I need to.....

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 31
never thought about putting it in a pan like that I have a PB4 will it get hot enough to burn the chunks like that

never thought about putting it in a pan like that I have a PB4 will it get hot enough to burn the chunks like that
haven't tried it yet but I think it will work. He sets it on 150 and even at that low temp it should eventually start to smoke because his heat gets up to 250 or so when he has it set at a much lower temp. I'm sure it would take some experimenting. Have been busy with work the past month and working weekends so I haven't had time to use the Pit Boss in about a month. Maybe this weekend I'll grab a bag of charcoal, a bag of chunks and a pan and give it a shot.

Latest Discussions

Back