Lockhart temp issues

Robbie1031

Reaction score
Pretty new to the pellet grill world, recently purchased the Lockhart. I love everything about the grill besides the extreme temperature swings. I have tried everything to get it to stay consistent but can’t. I have smoked ribs at 225, and seen temperatures fall to 165 and back up to 275. When it falls around 165 it often loses its fire and takes a while to get started again. When i called pit boss they said that an acceptable temp swing is between 25-50 degrees. To me that seems extreme. Especially when a lot of the other competitors are advertising + or - 5 degrees. Any help would be great right now I’m waiting on a new temp probe in the mail. Hopefully it will fix the problem but who knows.

If they don't cooperate at PB, then go out to Amazon and purchase a new RTU probe for inside of main cabinet (@ $11).
Mine was defective in my Lockhart, and PB had it on backorder (last year).
Once I replaced it, temps have been okay. (when I did get the b/o one from PB, I now have a backup!)

Also, check what generation of controller you have. Since mine was gen.1 (L01) PB replaced it with a gen.2 (L02)
You can see this when you first power up.
PB replaced mine when I was getting ERR message

If they don't cooperate at PB, then go out to Amazon and purchase a new RTU probe for inside of main cabinet (@ $11).
Mine was defective in my Lockhart, and PB had it on backorder (last year).
Once I replaced it, temps have been okay. (when I did get the b/o one from PB, I now have a backup!)

Also, check what generation of controller you have. Since mine was gen.1 (L01) PB replaced it with a gen.2 (L02)
You can see this when you first power up.
PB replaced mine when I was getting ERR message
Thank you for the reply, I’ll give that a try and see if it helps any. PB said the replacement temp probe should be at my house within 10 business days we will see.

Update, ordered the temp probe that was recommended, still having troubles keeping a consistent temperature. Set it to 180 and seen temps from 156-234. Very frustrating I feel for 750$ you could get a little better temp control. Guess I’ll be calling pit boss again this week. Anyone else with a Lockhart experiencing the same problems?

So finally the new control board and still the same issues, not sure what I’m doing wrong but can not get temps to stabilize. Set at several different temps, tried cooking on it now quite a few times and the temp swings are just to crazy. It seems like once it finally gets to a desired temp it almost just shuts off I lose fire and it keep piling up pellets, once it ignites back then it has a huge jump from too much fuel in the fire pot. At this point I don’t know what to do… might have to return it and try a different pellet grill.

Try taking ALL the molex connectors apart and put back together with dielectric grease. Definitely try replacing the igniter if you haven't already!

Latest Discussions

Back