Lockhart platinum showing grill error and flashing ignitor on startup.

Refrigeration tech

Reaction score
Pit boss tells me that it's the temperature probe. They're sending a new one out in 4-6 weeks. This doesn't seem like an accurate flashing diagnosis to me though. Seems like it would be related to the ignitor, but the ignitor resistance is 78 ohms so I know it's good. I feel like it's got to be a control board issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

So if I disconnect power and switch the smoker and grill temperature probes, the problem presents the exact same way. I hope I'm not without a grill for a month and a half during prime bbq weather!

I had the same issue.
PB replaced control board, then temp probe, then the igniter itself. Upon changing the igniter, I found that the original igniter wasn't installed correctly(tightened).
So far so good.... I still have left my trouble case open at PB until I am convinced that it is fixed!

I ended up buying the temp probe on Amazon for cheap and waiting on PB to ship theirs(still 8 weeks on b/o)
I will keep theirs as backup when it gets here

If it is a temp probe Amazon is the way to go. Normally with Prime those probes are one day shipping.

So I do HVAC and refrigeration. I use a multimeter every day and got intimidated by not knowing how these were supposed to work I guess. I metered everything out. It's a bad control board. I'm not prepared to wait 4-6 weeks, so hopefully they'll let me pay for rush shipping, even if that means I pay for the board. I'll return it if I can't get a board in a week or two. I loved my green mountain and I'll go back if PB is going to be beating around about it.

Oh it will take a while but give them a call and see if they can work something out. Maybe they can expedite shipping if you pay who knows?

So I do HVAC and refrigeration. I use a multimeter every day and got intimidated by not knowing how these were supposed to work I guess. I metered everything out. It's a bad control board. I'm not prepared to wait 4-6 weeks, so hopefully they'll let me pay for rush shipping, even if that means I pay for the board. I'll return it if I can't get a board in a week or two. I loved my green mountain and I'll go back if PB is going to be beating around about it.

I loved my GMG in the day, but I donated it to my church. It is the old version although I really like the new versions of GMG.

For PB to send you a new board depends if they have them in stock in Iowa if not they will have to direct ship it from the factory so not sure if they will allow you to pay for rush shipping. You never know just give them a call and find out.

Pit boss tells me that it's the temperature probe. They're sending a new one out in 4-6 weeks. This doesn't seem like an accurate flashing diagnosis to me though. Seems like it would be related to the ignitor, but the ignitor resistance is 78 ohms so I know it's good. I feel like it's got to be a control board issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

Just had the same problem on my Lockhart. Pin had pulled out of the connector under the hopper which connected the purple wire (+) to the igniter. I suspect it had not been fully inserted from the git-go! Of course this happened at 8PM just before an overnight smoke on a couple of pork butts! Reverted to the Weber WSM and got the cook done but was totally upset with technology. This happened also the 6th time I used the smoker but went away. In troubleshooting, I also found that the igniter had not been installed correctly at the factory. According to 2 different references in the manual, it should extend .03 or up to 1/2" into the burn pot. Mine was flush with the end of the mounting tube and therefore flush with the burn pot (no extension). Once I changed this, my startups take 1/2 as long!

My recommendation...while you have the bottom off the hopper checking connections, RTV the wires into the back of all of the connectors. Then re-ziptie the wires so there is no strain on the connectors. Can't believe the way they were tied at the factory!

I had this problem forever it's the igniter rod they are shit and never function you have two options disconnect your igniter rod and start your fire with a torch or Ace hardware sales a traeger rod that fits in pit boss grills I haven't had a single problem since I bypassed it

So if I disconnect power and switch the smoker and grill temperature probes, the problem presents the exact same way. I hope I'm not without a grill for a month and a half during prime bbq weather!
Take the bottom off your grill disconnect the ignitor rod from the circuit board start your fire with a torch set temperature and go when you have have time order a traeger igniter rod and put it in

I ended up buying the temp probe on Amazon for cheap and waiting on PB to ship theirs(still 8 weeks on b/o)
I will keep theirs as backup when it gets here
What probe did you buy from Amazon?

DRELD RTD High-Temperature Barbecue Meat Probe Sensor Waterproof, Replacement Part Fits for All Pit Boss 700 and 820 Series Wood Pellet Grills and Pellet Smokers
Return window closed on Aug 16, 2020
$10.99

Sorry the link didn't copy over from my Amazon.
Just copy/paste into your browser.

Latest Discussions

Back