Locked Auger

Collinscincy

Reaction score
How does one access the auger on one of these? Ours is brand new and I made a horrible mistake of adding wood chips instead of wood pellets. I want to try and fix it before I junk it and have to buy another one. I'm so mad at myself over this. Can anyone help with some advice? Thank you.

We have a Pit Boss Pro Series PBV4PS2.

Attachments

• 20210925_090105.jpg
    20210925_090105.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 46
I don't have the knowledge to help you out with this. Hopefully someone will come by soon. Just want you to know I hate it for you, and hope it works out.

Not familiar with that smoker, did you check your manual, maybe even utube. If not check out smoking meat forums

Get as many chips out as you can. There’s a door on the back of the hopper. Take it off. Empty them out and use a shop vac to try and get the rest.
you can also squirt some charcoal lighter fluid in afterwards and burn the rest. Clean it out good before loading pellets.

Lots of how to fix videos on this. I've done it a couple times on barrel cookers but not a vertical. I would guess it's pretty much the same. Just unjamming it isnt going to work for you as you still have chips in the tube. You need to get the auger out and clean it, and the auger tube. It's not that big of a deal. You are going to have to remove the pellet holder / control box from the cooking chamber.

Get as many chips out as you can. There’s a door on the back of the hopper. Take it off. Empty them out and use a shop vac to try and get the rest.
you can also squirt some charcoal lighter fluid in afterwards and burn the rest. Clean it out good before loading pellets.
We did all of that. Just can't seem to figure out how to open it up to see inside where the auger is located.

Lots of how to fix videos on this. I've done it a couple times on barrel cookers but not a vertical. I would guess it's pretty much the same. Just unjamming it isnt going to work for you as you still have chips in the tube. You need to get the auger out and clean it, and the auger tube. It's not that big of a deal. You are going to have to remove the pellet holder / control box from the cooking chamber.
I found if you clean the auger out after each cook, your auger probably won’t freeze up. The pellets remaining in the shaft absorb moisture and will swell and the dry out and lock up the unit.FYI

try this video, not exactly same unit, but should be the same for the auger
On My pb5 verticle, I discovered the auger wouldn't move, due to the small fan,on the opposite end of the auger had backed it's way off the fan shaft a tiny bit, just enough to put the fan against the guard, stopping everything. I removed the guard, pushed the fan back in, and everything started working.

Latest Discussions

Back