🔥 What's Smoking/Cooking on your Pit Boss?

I'm barbecuing St. Louis cut ribs for the first time on my Austin XL today. Usually we do baby backs, but wanted to try something different.

PXL_20221210_193901869.jpg

It is 35 degrees and rainy, but not windy today. I'm trying to maintain about 225 right now for the first hour or two, but might bump it up a little bit because I started a little late. Mostly PB Competition in the hopper, and I've got a smoke tube with pellets and hickory wood chips. It is hiding underneath the drip pan. Using a store bought rib rub, but it didn't have sugar in it so I added a little brown sugar and white sugar. Similar to Meathead's Memphis Dust ratio of sugar to spices. Going to generally follow a 3-2-1 process today.

Working on holiday decorations this afternoon while they are cooking.

I'm barbecuing St. Louis cut ribs for the first time on my Austin XL today. Usually we do baby backs, but wanted to try something different.

View attachment 3500

It is 35 degrees and rainy, but not windy today. I'm trying to maintain about 225 right now for the first hour or two, but might bump it up a little bit because I started a little late. Mostly PB Competition in the hopper, and I've got a smoke tube with pellets and hickory wood chips. It is hiding underneath the drip pan. Using a store bought rib rub, but it didn't have sugar in it so I added a little brown sugar and white sugar. Similar to Meathead's Memphis Dust ratio of sugar to spices. Going to generally follow a 3-2-1 process today.

Working on holiday decorations this afternoon while they are cooking.
This falls under the “life is good” category

This falls under the “life is good” category
Yes it does. Although I'm not sure if putting up Christmas lights outside in the cold and rain counts as "good". Haha.

After 3 hours I wrapped with apple juice & cider vinegar and bumped up to 250. 1.5 hours and they are fall off the bone. I was running errands so I trusted the clock more than I should have. Should have pulled them out after 1 hour and then sauced and finished. Oh well. We'll find out in about 15 minutes how good they are. Seem really moist and delicious when I took a sample, but I was looking for just a bit of chew.

Yes it does. Although I'm not sure if putting up Christmas lights outside in the cold and rain counts as "good". Haha.

After 3 hours I wrapped with apple juice & cider vinegar and bumped up to 250. 1.5 hours and they are fall off the bone. I was running errands so I trusted the clock more than I should have. Should have pulled them out after 1 hour and then sauced and finished. Oh well. We'll find out in about 15 minutes how good they are. Seem really moist and delicious when I took a sample, but I was looking for just a bit of chew.
Send them my way since you like some tug, I am for ribs that I can slide the bone out sideways with one hand... no tug or pull for me please!

I do more of a 3-3-1 to get the suck back and tenderness that my wife and I like. But most would say that I over cook everything. No red in my beef, no tug on my bones 😁

They turned out okay. Rather than bogging down this thread, I started a new thread to ask some questions on how to do it differently next time. I lost about 3-4 bones between unwrapping, saucing, flipping, and bringing them into the house. Sounds like Larry0071 would have enjoyed. :)

PXL_20221211_004342183.jpg

They turned out okay. Rather than bogging down this thread, I started a new thread to ask some questions on how to do it differently next time. I lost about 3-4 bones between unwrapping, saucing, flipping, and bringing them into the house. Sounds like Larry0071 would have enjoyed. :)

View attachment 3509
Yes! That pull back on the bone is what I'm looking for... lots of shrinkage meaning that most all fat has rendered off. I would have stolen those and ran away with them 😂

I used a 'hot and fast' method
Any of you guys use your posts here to supplement (or act as) your Bbq journal? I have only been smoking for a couple years tops, and dont take good notes. When something works out, I always wish I wrote it down. A couple times, I've documented my cooks on here and now I find that I can reference whatever I wrote to give a good idea of how to repeat it!

My mother asked me to smoke something for Christmas, but with time being tight between in-laws and Christmas eve and Christmas day at the folks, I'm not sure how i'm going to pull this off, but i'm going to do another hot and fast pork shoulder. Thanks to me for typing approximately how I did it!

Merry Christmas ya'all!

Any of you guys use your posts here to supplement (or act as) your Bbq journal? I have only been smoking for a couple years tops, and dont take good notes. When something works out, I always wish I wrote it down. A couple times, I've documented my cooks on here and now I find that I can reference whatever I wrote to give a good idea of how to repeat it!

My mother asked me to smoke something for Christmas, but with time being tight between in-laws and Christmas eve and Christmas day at the folks, I'm not sure how i'm going to pull this off, but i'm going to do another hot and fast pork shoulder. Thanks to me for typing approximately how I did it!

Merry Christmas ya'all!
I definitely use this forum as my recipe log sometimes. just like you. I always mean to go back and type it into a Google Doc, but I'm a few cooks behind. I don't post a whole lot, but when I do, I tend to bore all of you with my details so I can reference back to it. :)

I'm so new at this that I don't have a real system, I pick a meat and watch at least 3 YouTube videos related and I blend the advice into my own version and go for it. So far it's worked fabulously.

But I'm definitely learning as I go and subject to change.
That's exactly how I started Larry. Take the approach you are taking, and sprinkle in some advice from the members here and add some experience and you are going to be fine. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there are alot of knowledgeable people here.

I'm so new at this that I don't have a real system, I pick a meat and watch at least 3 YouTube videos related and I blend the advice into my own version and go for it. So far it's worked fabulously.

But I'm definitely learning as I go and subject to change.
Im particularly a fan of "Ash Kickin BBQ" on youtube. He shows you how to prepare championship quality product but will then do a vid that he will call "quick" or some such term for quick and easy home cookin.

Well, I'm at it again. It's -4°F outside (Pittsburgh Pa area) and I'm doing a "Twice Smoked Ham"... a giant Costco smoked ham, going to run it up to 140 internal with my smoke tube also going. It's resting in a tin with Motts apple juice and a can of Ginger ale. I'll cover the tin once I break over 100 internal.

Mistakes were made.... put it on at 0800 and realized it's 28 degrees internal.... she's an ice cube boys!

20221223_092020.jpg

Attachments

• 20221223_090640.jpg
    20221223_090640.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221223_090828.jpg
    20221223_090828.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 10
Well I have to work for Christmas...
Son #1 has to work for Christmas...
So son #2 got a start on xcountry hiking...

sooooooo while no Christmas this year I have managed for a few goodies for the wife and I. Picked up a Prime Rib in the discount meat rack this morning. Three bones @6.88 lb. Just couldnt resist.

Like Larry above, even though its 11* outside (central Texas for heavens sake) I believe its time to fire up the ole smoker and get to cookin!!!

Latest Discussions

Back