Laredo 1000

I can't vouch for these products, but this is the sort of thing I had in mind.

The former seems like he less extreme method, while the latter seems much more aggressive, especially if you decide to bend the heat plate.

I have the 1150 I tried that first mod the one by the temp probe. It made my temps a little closer but ran the grill hotter than the controller I used it for a couple months. I also had a decrease in smoke output too. Idk if it’s just my grill or what. I took it out out of curiosity and the smoke came back but the temps run about 20-25 degrees lower than the controller temp probe. I tried different brand pellets also and had the same outcome with the mod. I thought it solved my temp issue but after using it for sometime I came to not like it. Now is my controller bad or temp probe idk. I’m thinking that’s just how the grill operates. I’d rather be on the cooler side with more smoke then being hotter with less smoke. I also ran into issues of meat getting too done on the bottom part of the meat. That would happen no matter where it was on the grill. That issue went away too after taking it out. But like I said it may just be my grill. Just some of the things I noticed while using it. They sell the one that goes over the fire pot also I didn’t try that one seeing I would lose my searing option I don’t sear much anyways cuz it’s such a small area and have to maneuver all the meat around or just sear one piece at a time. I have taken the steaks or wings or whatever I want seared and put them on my other grill seemed to work ok.

I have the 1150 I tried that first mod the one by the temp probe. It made my temps a little closer but ran the grill hotter than the controller I used it for a couple months. I also had a decrease in smoke output too. Idk if it’s just my grill or what. I took it out out of curiosity and the smoke came back but the temps run about 20-25 degrees lower than the controller temp probe. I tried different brand pellets also and had the same outcome with the mod. I thought it solved my temp issue but after using it for sometime I came to not like it. Now is my controller bad or temp probe idk. I’m thinking that’s just how the grill operates. I’d rather be on the cooler side with more smoke then being hotter with less smoke. I also ran into issues of meat getting too done on the bottom part of the meat. That would happen no matter where it was on the grill. That issue went away too after taking it out. But like I said it may just be my grill. Just some of the things I noticed while using it. They sell the one that goes over the fire pot also I didn’t try that one seeing I would lose my searing option I don’t sear much anyways cuz it’s such a small area and have to maneuver all the meat around or just sear one piece at a time. I have taken the steaks or wings or whatever I want seared and put them on my other grill seemed to work ok.
Without any mods, I am experiencing what you describe with the bottom side of the meat getting too done. It's super frustrating. I'm not sure if putting a second after-market heat deflector like the ones in that second video would perhaps help the radiant heat from the OEM curved deflector decrease and stop toasting up the bottom side so much.

I'd take too cold over too hot any day, but unfortunately the reverse is what I've gotten with the Laredo.

Without any mods, I am experiencing what you describe with the bottom side of the meat getting too done. It's super frustrating. I'm not sure if putting a second after-market heat deflector like the ones in that second video would perhaps help the radiant heat from the OEM curved deflector decrease and stop toasting up the bottom side so much.

I'd take too cold over too hot any day, but unfortunately the reverse is what I've gotten with the Laredo.
Have u contacted pit boss about that issue? They have that heat diffuser/ flame tamer on smokeslikeaboss.com. Idk if something like that may help out ur situation. Cooking on the second shelf with a water pan on the middle of the grate may even out temps and stop the overcooking of the underside. But then u get limited space. Id call pit boss if u haven’t yet maybe something is up with the amount of pellets being feed to the fire pot. Or maybe try smoking to the left or right of the fire pot if u haven’t already.

Latest Discussions

Back