Laredo 1000 Shut's its self Off!

Global Sarge

Reaction score
Yes, it is raining outside, but I protected the cord from the rain and covered the control panel. The grill turns on and comes to the set temp, but after 5 to 15 minutes later, it turns its self off! What's the cause? I wanted to slow smoke a brisket over night, but it's not going to work like this.

I'm not sure if you found a solution, but mine was doing this last night, second cook. It wasn't raining, but it was exposed to some light rain before. After shutting off a few times it finally stayed on, but the meat on my LP grill was done so I pulled the potatoes off the Pit Boss and tried to mask their being underdone with extra sour cream :D

Did you guys ever figure this out? I'm thinking about smoking while it's drizzling a little bit. I'm wondering if the water conducts some current over to the shut off button somehow?

Can I ask how you guys covered the control panel? I'm trying to come up with ideas, but most of them aren't very good lol.

I would call Pit Boss Tech support and ask them, they might be aware of something and have the solution. 877 303 3134 option 2.

I would call Pit Boss Tech support and ask them, they might be aware of something and have the solution. 877 303 3134 option 2.
They [unofficially] said that the panel is protected by a gasket, and then very hesitantly said that they personally use theirs in the rain without issue. The person I was talking to indicated that it isn't exactly recommended (obviously) but that they've done it a lot with a different model that also has a touchscreen interface and haven't had any issues. They did mention that their touchscreen wasn't facing upwards the way the Laredo is, but I've seen a few others saying they've been ok with the Laredo in the rain.

Think I might roll the dice.

Had this issue before when the grill had trouble connecting to the app over wifi. Tried to get it to work switching between the 2 different pit boss apps. Seemed to make it worse. Never had an issue in the rain.

Latest Discussions

Back