KC Combo -Gas Grill Side - Very Little Heat from the Burners

dmoser36

Reaction score
I've had my KC Combo for 6 months, but have really just been using the Smoker Side which is very good and working well. However, I tried the propane gas grill to cook some hot dogs and hamburgers the other day and there is very little flame and heat coming from the three burners. I have a full propane tank. Each burner started fine. However, there is very little flame so with the lid down, the temperature gauge on top of the unit barely gets to 300deg with the burners turned on high. I've disconnected and re-connected the regulator from the propane tank several times. The line is not kinked, the connections are tight, no propane smell or sound when burners are off and gas valve on propane tank fully open. There's just not much flame or heat coming from the burners. Is there some kind of safety plug, or orifice issue that may be hindering the gas to the burners? Is the regulator defective and not allowing sufficient gas to pass from the propane tank? I couldn't get any grill burn marks on my hot dogs, and hamburgers just lie there waiting for a good tan that doesn't come...

Make sure there are no leaks and turn all burners off there is a safety value built into the tank that restricts gas flow if flow is too great for to long. If that doesn't work try different tank and maybe regulator.

I turn my tank on with everything closed then shut it back off for a bit then back on so the system is charged before lighting the burners.

Make sure there are no leaks and turn all burners off there is a safety value built into the tank that restricts gas flow if flow is too great for to long. If that doesn't work try different tank and maybe regulator.

I turn my tank on with everything closed then shut it back off for a bit then back on so the system is charged before lighting the burners.
Thanks for the suggestions... The burners light with no problem, there is just not enough gas entering the tube burners to provide sufficient flame to get enough heat to cook anything. My guess is I've got a bad Regulator.

That's what happens if the tank is bad too. swapping tanks might be an easy check

That's what happens if the tank is bad too. swapping tanks might be an easy check
I swapped out the tanks and I'm getting more propane to the burners. Thanks for your suggestion as apparently it was the tank and not the regulator.

Good deal if that doesn't fix it all the way check every connection too

I have had problem with some propane tanks when camping and changing out for multiple cooking things (stove, Blackstone, and turkey burner). The valve in the propane tank sometimes will not open to the regulator. Unscrew and screw back on and usually fixes it.

I realize that this is an old post, but I have the same issue. It also seems VERY susceptible to flame out of any wind is stirring at all.

Yet occasionally the temp climbs to 450 or 500 or so like I want. Other times I can't get it past 300.

I wasn't expecting it to be a powerful grill at only 27,000 BTUs, but I can peek at the flames and see that it's only burning weakly.

So far I haven't been able to test another tank. I have a second tank that needs to be refilled and then I'll try that.

After further use, it appears to be related purely to wind. I can easily hit 550+ with it and hold that just fine. If it's windy is when I have problems.

So I don't know that I consider that a "problem". I may look into some wind deflection measures if it continues to be an issue. The last two or three times I used the gas side it worked great.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back