Just Picked Up a 1600

orange57

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm Matt, I live in AZ. I just picked up a Pro Series 1600 today off Craigslist. It was brand new, never used, but missing the griddle and one of the upper grates, neither of which are a big deal.

I got it home and assembled and did the first burn off this afternoon. I have seen a couple videos saying to do 2-3 to fully season the grill, so will probably do another tomorrow or Wed.

I'm stoked about my purchase, planning to smoke ribs on Friday for a NYE get together.

When doing the burn off I put a thermometer in the smoker, and I noticed that while the controller appeared to be holding steady at 450°F, the thermometer only got up to about 410°F. Is this type of discrepancy normal?

I do know that I have the old firm ware, as I have the 25°F temp increments. Is this something that I just reach out to Pit Boss about and I can get the update pretty easily?

Been looking for a long time, and the right deal just happened to strike this week. Super excited about the smoker.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey All,

I'm Matt, I live in AZ. I just picked up a Pro Series 1600 today off Craigslist. It was brand new, never used, but missing the griddle and one of the upper grates, neither of which are a big deal.

I got it home and assembled and did the first burn off this afternoon. I have seen a couple videos saying to do 2-3 to fully season the grill, so will probably do another tomorrow or Wed.

I'm stoked about my purchase, planning to smoke ribs on Friday for a NYE get together.

When doing the burn off I put a thermometer in the smoker, and I noticed that while the controller appeared to be holding steady at 450°F, the thermometer only got up to about 410°F. Is this type of discrepancy normal?

I do know that I have the old firm ware, as I have the 25°F temp increments. Is this something that I just reach out to Pit Boss about and I can get the update pretty easily?

Been looking for a long time, and the right deal just happened to strike this week. Super excited about the smoker.

Thanks,

Matt
Welcome Matt, and congrats on your new pellet grill. I have a 1600 and have never used the upper grate or the griddle. I always cook on the middle rack withe a foil pan under it to catch the grease. The top rack really leaves you no room to put anything other than ribs, you won't miss it. That temp discrepancy is normal, I would always use an external temp probe to know what your temp actually is in the cooking chamber. And definitely call for the new controller.10 degree increments on the lower end is a great upgrade. Good luck, with your rib cook. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. There are alot of knowledgeable people in this forum.

Welcome Matt, and congrats on your new pellet grill. I have a 1600 and have never used the upper grate or the griddle. I always cook on the middle rack withe a foil pan under it to catch the grease. The top rack really leaves you no room to put anything other than ribs, you won't miss it. That temp discrepancy is normal, I would always use an external temp probe to know what your temp actually is in the cooking chamber. And definitely call for the new controller.10 degree increments on the lower end is a great upgrade. Good luck, with your rib cook. If you have any questions feel free to reach out. There are alot of knowledgeable people in this forum.
Thanks ANT!

I was planning on putting a second probe in there and kind of doing an off-set to get the desired temp. Good to know the temp discrepancy is fairly common.

Interesting suggestion on cooking on the middle grate. I was just planning to cook on the lower one. But I could see how your method would have less clean up :)

Thanks ANT!

I was planning on putting a second probe in there and kind of doing an off-set to get the desired temp. Good to know the temp discrepancy is fairly common.

Interesting suggestion on cooking on the middle grate. I was just planning to cook on the lower one. But I could see how your method would have less clean up :)
Yeah the 1600 has a ton of room. I do briskets and pork butts on the middle rack too. And cleanup is a breeze using a drip pan.

Latest Discussions

Back