Just ordered a PB 850 Pro

Badger

Reaction score
Will be delivered this week. For 42 years I’ve used a Weber 22” charcoal grill and been using the last few years to smoke ribs, chops, turkey, in addition to grilling the steaks, burgers etc.
While we enjoy the results of smoking with the Weber, it’s a lot of work and requires constant monitoring. No way I could do a low and slow brisket. So I’m hoping the promise of using a pellet grill is realized.

Welcome!

If you don't already have one, I suggest an external thermometer for both grill temp and meat temp.

There are several brands to choose from. I have a thermoworks smoke and I trust it and don't use the PB probes.

Welcome.
You'll enjoy smoke cooking even more now. Don't retire that weber though. I still use mine regularly.
Got my 1150 in july it's been great right out of the box. My temps along with all 4 probes have been close enough for me. I use a thermo pen for final temps but more for probing tenderness.
I'll suggest getting some smoke tubes. Most people want more smoke.

I have the PB850PS2. I would prefer 5 degree increments on the PID controller. Not a fan of 10 degree increments.
Oh and you need to fire Smoke IT app builder, its terrible and giving you a bad name.

Thank you. I have i-Grill with two probes and room for two more, that I’ve used with my Weber. I can use one as a meat thermometer and the other for ambient grill temperature in the Vicki of the meat.

Welcome!

If you don't already have one, I suggest an external thermometer for both grill temp and meat temp.

There are several brands to choose from. I have a thermoworks smoke and I trust it and don't use the PB probes.

What does the Weber do that you can’t do as well with the pellet grill?

Welcome.

You'll enjoy smoke cooking even more now. Don't retire that weber though. I still use mine regularly.
Got my 1150 in july it's been great right out of the box. My temps along with all 4 probes have been close enough for me. I use a thermo pen for final temps but more for probing tenderness.
I'll suggest getting some smoke tubes. Most people want more smoke.

@Badger What does the Weber do that you can’t do as well with the pellet grill?
Sear more than a couple pieces at one time. Quick burger/steak cook. Only takes a few min to get a chimney ready.
You can sear on a 1150 but it doesn't do a very good job of it in my opinion. It's a great smoker though and that's all I needed it for.

So the 850 Pro was delivered all assembled. Unfortunately it arrived with a bent folding shelf that doesn’t fold, so hoping to get a replacement

downloaded SmokeIt App, tried signing up for an account but do not receive a confirmation email

doing the burn-in. Must say the user manual leaves much to be desired. Trying to “think” like it’s author.

hoping that without the app I can still cook some chicken tonight

Thank you
Called SmokeIt app support today, and after walking me through the steps, determined the Bluetooth component of the controller is faulty. So he’s sending a new one.

good news is that the current controller allows 10-degree increments. Was able to grill chicken and vegetables last night for the first use.

I’m wondering about best way to protect it from winter weather- Pacific Northwest temperate but rainy winters. Still want to use it in the winter. I have the grill cover of course.

Latest Discussions

Back