Jammed Auger

Jjmaill

Reaction score
Pellets got wet in my 5 series vertical smoker. Now the auger is in jammed in a (pellet concrete). Is there any saving it? I can't get access to the pin/screw holding the motor to the Auger unless I pull the auger out. Which again, is jammed in solidified pellets. Thank you in advance for any help.

There's a you tube video on unjamming an auger.
The only ones I could find were augers that you can either access the set screw for the motor or their auger isn't so jammed that they can pull it out to clean out the auger tunnel. My set screw to pull the motor off is accessible only when I pull out the auger. Too jammed up to pull it out and can't clamp vise grips onto the auger shaft with the motor on.

Can you empty the hopper as much as humanly possible with a shop vac? Then with the unit unplugged from the electric, tipped towards the fire pot maybe a little warm water flowing will dissolve the swollen pellets? Enough so you can get the auger out for a good cleaning and drying.

Can you empty the hopper as much as humanly possible with a shop vac? Then with the unit unplugged from the electric, tipped towards the fire pot maybe a little warm water flowing will dissolve the swollen pellets? Enough so you can get the auger out for a good cleaning and drying.
I will give that a try. I already have the hopper completely off so I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks

Get it cleaned out?
I did. Called pit boss support and she instructed me to pull the auger off the smoker still in the housing. This gave me just enough to persistently dig out the pellet compact and allow me to pry/slide out the auger slowly. Then got everything cleaned up and put back together. Working great.

Always burn out the left over pellet. I will never buy a pitboss ever again. Im just trying to help you. They do not honor their warranty.

Latest Discussions

Back