Is this normal

Cfields136

Reaction score
Hi I just bought my first pitboss 820 off someone who upgraded after having it for 2 years. It seems to be in great condition. I feel like the area above the searing plate shouldn’t get this red/hot.i plan on doing ribs this weekend but I feel like they will burn. The video was The grill set at 225, it was warming up at the time, but it would also do it anytime after the lid was opened to warm back up. The baffle on the searing part looks ok . Could it be a p setting or defective sear baffle. Any suggestions appreciated

CFAC2AB4-6D91-4619-8977-FB273F411F12.png

Sorry having a hard time getting the video to load it get more red/hot than the picture shows

what was the grill temp at the time. I know you set it at 225, but what the grill registering at?

I have the Lockhart. My grates do not get red hot, but the searing area underneath seems to "leak" more heat.
I try to cook off of this area anyhow for this reason.
I would just monitor/manage cabinet temp overall and cook away.

I always use a separate thermometer when smoking brisket, pulled pork or ribs. The PB thermometer is ok but adding an external one (I use a Weber 4 probe) gives you peace of mind. I find the PB internal thermometer runs ~8 degrees hotter.

Hi I just bought my first pitboss 820 off someone who upgraded after having it for 2 years. It seems to be in great condition. I feel like the area above the searing plate shouldn’t get this red/hot.i plan on doing ribs this weekend but I feel like they will burn. The video was The grill set at 225, it was warming up at the time, but it would also do it anytime after the lid was opened to warm back up. The baffle on the searing part looks ok . Could it be a p setting or defective sear baffle. Any suggestions appreciated
I can't see the video, but looking at the picture, it looks like my 820. Close the baffle on the searing station, set for P4, and I think you will be fine.. I use a modified 321 smoke. I put the ribs directly in the grate with the searing station closed, for 3 hours using the PitBoss Fruit Blend. Then into foil trays with a couple of cans of Dr. Pepper for another 3 hours. Then finally I drain the Juice off and add a sauce for another hour. Enjoy!

It looks like the slots are open and you are looking in the firebox. You need to make sure the slots are closed to properly smoke stuff.

It looks like the slots are open and you are looking in the firebox. You need to make sure the slots are closed to properly smoke stuff.
They are completely closed I would not have posted for something that obvious lol. I think maybe they have warped just enough that it does that. I personally feel it’s a bad design for that reason. my boss has an older one and his searing plate has no slots so it’s either open or fully closed which I feel is a better way to go it it warps after two years. Visually it looks perfectly fine. I have been covering it with tin foil which has helped a lot but the temperature swings are pretty drastic I’ve tried to do ribs and at different times set at 225 it will fluctuate from like 170-270 I have tried p4-p7 but nothing seems to hold steady

Latest Discussions

Back