Is the LockHart worth it?

RyGuy671

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm debating about updating my Pro Series 1100 combo (bought 2020) to a LockHart. The 1100 was my first pellet smoker, and come to find out I barely use the gas grill side at all! I cook everything on the smoker. I'm just not sure trading up, like a car, is worth losing the few hundred bucks to buy the LockHart. I like to cold smoke, currently using a smoke tube that works well. I do like the LockHart's ability to cold smoke in the cabinet, but I feel like it is wasting more pellets than necessary, and doesn't seem to get much smoke flavor. (I really like all the space it has, as well as lights and digital controller).

So would LockHart owners on here say the upper cabinet is worth it? Or stick with my combo, where I can use my gas side as a cold smoker if I'm smoking on the other side.

Thanks!

I had the same decision. My wife came home with the LockHart. I really love it. The slow cook in the smoke cabinet is great. Takes a bit of learning to get master the temps between the top and bottom chambers. There is almost nothing that you cant do with the setup...Steaks, seafood, turkeys, sausage....

It also makes me the envy of the neighborhood :)

Thanks for the input. I envision the smoke cabinet as a good cold smoker/warmer, but not the primary smoker (unless you want really low temps). That seems like it would just waste fuel to heat it when you can use the main area.

I had the same decision. My wife came home with the LockHart. I really love it. The slow cook in the smoke cabinet is great. Takes a bit of learning to get master the temps between the top and bottom chambers. There is almost nothing that you cant do with the setup...Steaks, seafood, turkeys, sausage....

It also makes me the envy of the neighborhood :)
Every time my neighbor washes his Tesla I break out the smoker. My toy costs less and smells better. Take that f#cker...

I researched the Lockhart before it came out and bought in 02/20.
I had a few problems (controller, sensor, and ignitor) that PB replaced N/C.
Once replaced, works great without issues!
(I think my problem was first-issue things since it had only been introduced for sale less than a month)

I like the versatility overall.
Able to cook at higher temps in lower, then transfer items that are done to the upper as to not overcook.

I would recommend it!

I researched the Lockhart before it came out and bought in 02/20.
I had a few problems (controller, sensor, and ignitor) that PB replaced N/C.
Once replaced, works great without issues!
(I think my problem was first-issue things since it had only been introduced for sale less than a month)

I like the versatility overall.
Able to cook at higher temps in lower, then transfer items that are done to the upper as to not overcook.

I would recommend it!
Thanks! It seems most reviews that are negative are from the "1st gen" ones in 2020. And when people say "it uses a lot of pellets to smoke on top!", well why not just smoke on the bottom if you need to do it above about 300 degrees. I think the smoke box is more of an extra for cold or very low temp smoking, or using as a warmer/storage.

Still undecided, we'll see! My girlfriend would pay for it so...

my LockHart is a learning issue...smoke chamber is fine...it's a pellet eater doing 4 whole yardbirds...

No complaints here about pellet usage.
Yardbirds go low and slow for @ 3-1/2 hours on 225.
Uses about 1/4th of the hopper.

Thanks! It seems most reviews that are negative are from the "1st gen" ones in 2020. And when people say "it uses a lot of pellets to smoke on top!", well why not just smoke on the bottom if you need to do it above about 300 degrees. I think the smoke box is more of an extra for cold or very low temp smoking, or using as a warmer/storage.

Still undecided, we'll see! My girlfriend would pay for it so...
I have the KC Combo and just had warranty replacement on my controller which is the same as the Lockhart. Big difference in cooking, app, WiFi connection etc. also noticed differences on the control board, 2nd gen is built a lot better materials/electronics.

When you first turn on the grill-- LOOK AT the display. It will FLASH (for only a second or two) L01 or L02.
That is the generation of the controller.

Latest Discussions

Back