Insulated blanket for 40 degree F overnight smoke?

brewersfan73

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should use a PB thermal blanket for my first overnight smoke this weekend on my Austin XL. It's supposed to get down to 40 degrees F during the night (autumn has arrive in WI). If I keep it on SMOKE mode (P4) overnight, will the blanket keep the cooker insulated too much that my temps might get higher than I want? Or if I use the blanket, do I just set the controller at 200 degrees instead rather than using the timer-based SMOKE mode?

I guess the other option is to not use a blanket and hope that grill doesn't lose too much heat overnight. For reference, typically when I use SMOKE mode during the day (60-80 degrees F), my cooker will hold a temperature between 180-210.

I'm wondering if I should use a PB thermal blanket for my first overnight smoke this weekend on my Austin XL. It's supposed to get down to 40 degrees F during the night (autumn has arrive in WI). If I keep it on SMOKE mode (P4) overnight, will the blanket keep the cooker insulated too much that my temps might get higher than I want? Or if I use the blanket, do I just set the controller at 200 degrees instead rather than using the timer-based SMOKE mode?

I guess the other option is to not use a blanket and hope that grill doesn't lose too much heat overnight. For reference, typically when I use SMOKE mode during the day (60-80 degrees F), my cooker will hold a temperature between 180-210.

You'll be ok without the blanket. 40 deg is still shorts and t-shirt weather. Keep an eye on the inside temp. you can always bump up the controller temp to compensate.

It looks like I've got one vote for the blanket and one vote saying I probably don't need it. :)

I had seen that video before and it convinced me buy the PB blanket when I saw it on an Ebay overstock store for ~$60, with the intent of continuing to smoke throughout the winter.

I guess I could start without and see what happens. I was just hoping not to wake up and monitor in the middle of the night, but I guess setting an alarm 3-4 hours into the cook to check temps on my phone might be worth it, and then adjust if I have to. Forgot to mention, I'm planning to do a whole beef brisket.

Any opinions as to whether to set a temp on the controller, or should I just try the SMOKE setting and what happens?

It looks like I've got one vote for the blanket and one vote saying I probably don't need it. :)

I had seen that video before and it convinced me buy the PB blanket when I saw it on an Ebay overstock store for ~$60, with the intent of continuing to smoke throughout the winter.

I guess I could start without and see what happens. I was just hoping not to wake up and monitor in the middle of the night, but I guess setting an alarm 3-4 hours into the cook to check temps on my phone might be worth it, and then adjust if I have to. Forgot to mention, I'm planning to do a whole beef brisket.

Any opinions as to whether to set a temp on the controller, or should I just try the SMOKE setting and what happens?
In South Carolina I worry more about to much sunshine on the grill. On a hot summer day here the smoker in the sun shine will get up to 150* and some times higher. I find that my smokers love the colder weather. 150 years ago all the smoking was autumn time, time to kill the hogs and cold smoke for preservation... Or salt packing...

What's bad is rain!

I believe that if you are cooking low and slow all night your Pit Boss has the BTU's to keep and hold the cook temp. The oven temp probe is going to tell the auger to feed pellets to hold a given temp. My biggest problem is wind. Sometimes I have to keep the wind from stuffing my chimney...

I believe that if you are cooking low and slow all night your Pit Boss has the BTU's to keep and hold the cook temp. The oven temp probe is going to tell the auger to feed pellets to hold a given temp. My biggest problem is wind. Sometimes I have to keep the wind from stuffing my chimney...
I built a wind block for that once. Worked perfect
Used pallets , 2x4’s and plastic

Some folks have a fit when I suggest a welders blanket lol. But it’s worked for me when I’ve needed it
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸
Roll that smoke 💨!
Yeah, I've seen the welders blanket from Harbor Freight suggestion many times, and I may have gone that route if I didn't find this deal. I probably wouldn't have paid $110 for the official Pit Boss one, but for $60 it seemed worth it to have something that just fits. Appreciate the advice.

The grill won't have any problem maintaining those low temps since it is designed to go up to 500 F! A blanket might help conserve a few pellets, though.
Thanks - good point. I think I was originally wondering if the timed SMOKE setting would be able to maintain a proper temp in cooler outdoor temps, but the more I thought about it, I decide to just go with 225 overnight instead, even if it meant losing a little smoke flavor.

Latest Discussions

Back