If you had it to do over.

PBV4PS2 smoker and yes I would. I just put in a new controller today and now it has changed to a big YES. We love this smoker.
I now get 10 deg increments if I do it manually, but no 275 deg, only 270 and 280 deg which is no big issue.
Hi I have the large increment controller on my 850. What controller upgrade did you get and where to get one. Thanks

Would I do it again? Probably not the same grill, maybe not PB. I have got a Lockhart a few months ago and have been grilling something nearly every weekend. There are things that I like of course and when you account for all the quirks it works well, but there are several annoyances that I think are design problems with this grill.
  • First and foremost, the hopper design. I've said it before elsewhere but this grill has a 40 lb hopper that stops feeding about half-way empty because of the shallow hopper walls, so PB recommends that the feeder be kept at least 3/4 full. So basically you have a 10lb hopper in practice. It also sounds like this isn't just a Lockhart problem.
  • The second issue is the narrow gap between the broiler shield and the grates; makes it very hard to get water/drip pans under the grates.
  • The ash pan is nearly useless...a fraction of the ash in the fire pot falls to the pan, and the ash cleaning lever just makes noise - doesn't cause any ash to fall into the pan. Pretty much every grill over an hour or two I need to pull it apart and vaccum out all the ash.
  • The main grilling door barely stays open because the handle rests against the smoker cabinet door handles.
  • There isn't a good way of setting and monitoring the temp for the smoker cabinet except by trial and error and paying close attention.
  • And finally while not specific to this grill, the new version of the app is better than the old, but it is basically a remote thermometer and a timer. Better apps can allow you to program a grilling sequence.
Maybe a different PB but thinking I know more now to find one that isn't as quirky.

Well here I am reading about problems with Pit boss smokers. I have had 3 controllers, 3 temp probes and a new drum thermometer. My daughter told them enough…. Now they are sending her a sportsman 500 model. Should be here in another week. Will see how it goes or becomes a yard ornament like the Lexington….

I have an 820, older model just before they came out with a probe input, got it at Lowes for $125, normally $499. Would I buy it again? Yes I would but try to find it on clearance or something, $499 is a bit steep!

Ok here’s a question probably most of us have asked ourself. Especially new to pellet guys like me.
I know I’ve pondered over this a few times myself. And from a lot of the posts we see In here, I’m sure there’s a few that would have some input.

OK…….
If you knew what you do now. Would you have bought it. And maybe more importantly would you have bought a different model than the one you got?

First off I’m not posting this for it to become a bashing thread! If it does I would like a mod to just take it down.

There’s a lot of things about pellet cookers that newbies don’t know till it’s too late. And also different features and models. For myself there’s a lot of things I didn’t know about, to consider.

Who knows. Maybe somebody lurking around thinking about getting in the game might stumble on this and get a little educated about them.

I’ll start by saying I was infatuated with the pellet smokers in general and ran across a very good deal on a floor model. Price on mine at Lowe’s was 459 I believe and mine went out the door for 320 bucks and tax.

PBV4PS2

At first I was about ready to take it back because of the lack of smoke. Especially since the sales guy told me these things were the smokiest available. My first few cooks were, well lacking. The ease of using it was great. But the lack of smoke was almost a deal breaker. I ran across a couple of websites and watched a million YouTube’s like most do. And especially in here I learned two things. The first being they do NOT deliver the smoky flavor as say my offset or chip burner. And the second thing I learned I didn’t know what the hell I was doing lol. Low temp smoke session and most of the time a smoke tube. And experiment with pellets.
Now I’m pretty happy with it. I use it a few times a week. And can get satisfactory smoke when I want it. And have even used to cook when I didn’t necessarily want heavy smoke. Kinda like an outside oven if ya will.

As far as buying one. Knowing what I do now. Yup I certainly would.
But the same one ??? I’m on the fence there. I see the 850s and others with their grill like capabilities and actually thought about replacing this one. I have a couple of son in laws that I’m sure would like it.
But it ain’t going nowhere right now. Lol. But man I do like the idea of the other options on the others.

I bought the PB 600, the Lowes model. I got the newer panel for free when I called Pit Boss, as I had an older one with older firmware. I've learned to get great results and lots of smoke when I need it. Sure, id like a car battery (lithium) and an inverter for portable use. Now I could upgrade to the PID controller for $150 or so but it's really fine as it is. I do need to turn it a bit if there is a breeze. Having the direct grilling slots is so cool. Works well. No regrets.

I’ll definitely get a pellet grill again. Main complaint is pellet chamber. Have to check every hour or so to make sure pellets drop. Chamber not steep enough even if I add 30+ pounds it empties out. I have to stick a tool in to drop more pellets. And clean out of ash is a a pain. Wish it had a clean out from below without having to take out all of the racks.

I purchased the Brunswick after looking at all the other vertical smoker options and features. This is my first pellet pooper. A bit of history my first smoker was a char griller pro, did many mods and learned a lot about smoking. I then built a UDS which gave me great service until it rusted out. I then went with a used MasterBuilt vertical gasser. Did mods on it including a full thermal blanket. Worked ok but never really locked in on temp control. What I did learn is vertical smokers are the way to go for me. I have my trusty Weber for grilling and rotisserie. Back to the Brunswick, I have done several cooks on it and everything has came out wonderful. I get excellent smoke ring and tenderness. So far I’ve done a pork shoulder, ribs both St. Louis and babyback. Full packer brisket and now in the smoker dinosaur bones for the first time. I do all of my smoking at the 230f setting. I also did the internal probe mod even before the initial burnin. I also checked internal vertical smoker temperature with my Thermopen and Bluetooth probes that are calibrated. Found pit to be within 5f of panel reading and the two probes that plug in reading about 10f high. I’m a certified KCBS BBQ judge. I find using the Brunswick to be a pleasure. I’ve got to the point that I can trust it to do what I want. Basically set it and forget it. I love my Brunswick and would purchase it again.

Ok here’s a question probably most of us have asked ourself. Especially new to pellet guys like me.
I know I’ve pondered over this a few times myself. And from a lot of the posts we see In here, I’m sure there’s a few that would have some input.

OK…….
If you knew what you do now. Would you have bought it. And maybe more importantly would you have bought a different model than the one you got?

First off I’m not posting this for it to become a bashing thread! If it does I would like a mod to just take it down.

There’s a lot of things about pellet cookers that newbies don’t know till it’s too late. And also different features and models. For myself there’s a lot of things I didn’t know about, to consider.

Who knows. Maybe somebody lurking around thinking about getting in the game might stumble on this and get a little educated about them.

I’ll start by saying I was infatuated with the pellet smokers in general and ran across a very good deal on a floor model. Price on mine at Lowe’s was 459 I believe and mine went out the door for 320 bucks and tax.

PBV4PS2

At first I was about ready to take it back because of the lack of smoke. Especially since the sales guy told me these things were the smokiest available. My first few cooks were, well lacking. The ease of using it was great. But the lack of smoke was almost a deal breaker. I ran across a couple of websites and watched a million YouTube’s like most do. And especially in here I learned two things. The first being they do NOT deliver the smoky flavor as say my offset or chip burner. And the second thing I learned I didn’t know what the hell I was doing lol. Low temp smoke session and most of the time a smoke tube. And experiment with pellets.
Now I’m pretty happy with it. I use it a few times a week. And can get satisfactory smoke when I want it. And have even used to cook when I didn’t necessarily want heavy smoke. Kinda like an outside oven if ya will.

As far as buying one. Knowing what I do now. Yup I certainly would.
But the same one ??? I’m on the fence there. I see the 850s and others with their grill like capabilities and actually thought about replacing this one. I have a couple of son in laws that I’m sure would like it.
But it ain’t going nowhere right now. Lol. But man I do like the idea of the other options on the others.
Hey friend!
First welcome to pellet grills and all the amazing tasty foods you will have fun preparing.

You ask about doing it again. Well I already have. Bought both the Pro Series ll 150 portable and the 600. Each serves the purpose for which they were bought. Features are identical except size. Both from Lowes since their models provide an external slide for opening grate exposing the fire box for searing. Both quality construction with no complaints to date. Both hold temperature on point. Since neither has the fancy electronic stuff I cannot comment on reliability of components. I wanted grills I can set and forget....very satisfied!!!!

As far as smoke volume, please understand quality pellets DO NOT produce a thick, heavy smoke....they produce a whisper light almost invisible smoke unless loading up the fire box with more pellets. I have cooked many meats and all come off with that "smoke ring" I want. If you want more smoke consider a tube? But I have no use for one. I have had fun trying different pellet wood types and different rubs. My Pit Boss grills provide all the smoke I desire.

Since you are new to this "sport" some things to consider:

1) this is not a fast prep way to prepare food. Its a labor of grilling love, a time to relax as you cook. Yes you can sear but if its a smoke base flavor you desire, won't happen in 10 minutes. I also have an electric grill I use for quick preps. Some members use gas. So take your time and enjoy the process. Its kinda nice to set your smoker, put your food in and go do something besides watch the grill. A remote WiFi temp probe and simple timer are priceless and cheap!

2) have fun experimenting with different pellets, rubs, sauces etc. Seems like there's a million! The different tastes you can enjoy is the fun for me. I can make a common pork chop or simple chicken taste a hundred different ways, so too larger meats. Veggies smoked are fabulous. The list of things you can is limited only by your taste and imagination. That's the fun of a pellet smoker. Don't be afraid to try new things. YouTube is a wonderful resource.

3) remember.... Its REALLY hard to mess up and ruin something where you can't eat it! Oh its possible to make a mistake, mine usually from spices and rubs choices, not the smoker. Rule of thumb for most smokers is "time and temperature" rule the cook.

So friend dive in and learn your craft. Everyone has their own style, favorites and processes. But we all share one thing.......the true joy of pellet smoked foods and our pellet smokers! Have fun!

After smoking about 40 lbs of pork butt, I wish I had spent more money and bought a Traeger.
It is a real disappointment that the Pit Boss 850 does not accurately display the temp inside the smoking chamber.
I have verified the actual temp with other thermometers, that match my kitchen stove exactly.
Mine is off +25 degrees at every level. With adjustment increments mostly every 50 degrees, it is a constant battle to maintain a desirable cooking temp. I seem to be at either 212 or 275 degrees. Also disappointed in how little smoke flavor I get.

Hi I have the large increment controller on my 850. What controller upgrade did you get and where to get one. Thanks
Pit Boss Tech Support put one on order for me in February, finally arrived in June. The original one was not sending out a signal for wifi to work. Number on the box for the controller is LP42352.

I would have to say no. Or at least I would probably go for another brand. I have the PBV4 series1. When it works without issue it’s great, but that is very rare. I’ve replaced 2 temp probes and have a new controller that I haven’t replaced yet. I’m of the opinion that if you’re spending several hundred dollars on anything you shouldn’t have to be replacing components constantly. I’ve had this smoker almost two years with maybe 35-40 cooks on it. I’ve made it through maybe 8 of those without shutdowns. And I baby this smoker. The only thing that has been reliable about this smoker is that it will probably shut down at some point of a long cook. Very frustrating. On the other hand, when it works I thoroughly enjoy it.
But to answer the question, no I probably would not buy another pellet smoker. Probably would build a UDS like I originally intended.

Hey friend!
First welcome to pellet grills and all the amazing tasty foods you will have fun preparing.

You ask about doing it again. Well I already have. Bought both the Pro Series ll 150 portable and the 600. Each serves the purpose for which they were bought. Features are identical except size. Both from Lowes since their models provide an external slide for opening grate exposing the fire box for searing. Both quality construction with no complaints to date. Both hold temperature on point. Since neither has the fancy electronic stuff I cannot comment on reliability of components. I wanted grills I can set and forget....very satisfied!!!!

As far as smoke volume, please understand quality pellets DO NOT produce a thick, heavy smoke....they produce a whisper light almost invisible smoke unless loading up the fire box with more pellets. I have cooked many meats and all come off with that "smoke ring" I want. If you want more smoke consider a tube? But I have no use for one. I have had fun trying different pellet wood types and different rubs. My Pit Boss grills provide all the smoke I desire.

Since you are new to this "sport" some things to consider:

1) this is not a fast prep way to prepare food. Its a labor of grilling love, a time to relax as you cook. Yes you can sear but if its a smoke base flavor you desire, won't happen in 10 minutes. I also have an electric grill I use for quick preps. Some members use gas. So take your time and enjoy the process. Its kinda nice to set your smoker, put your food in and go do something besides watch the grill. A remote WiFi temp probe and simple timer are priceless and cheap!

2) have fun experimenting with different pellets, rubs, sauces etc. Seems like there's a million! The different tastes you can enjoy is the fun for me. I can make a common pork chop or simple chicken taste a hundred different ways, so too larger meats. Veggies smoked are fabulous. The list of things you can is limited only by your taste and imagination. That's the fun of a pellet smoker. Don't be afraid to try new things. YouTube is a wonderful resource.

3) remember.... Its REALLY hard to mess up and ruin something where you can't eat it! Oh its possible to make a mistake, mine usually from spices and rubs choices, not the smoker. Rule of thumb for most smokers is "time and temperature" rule the cook.

So friend dive in and learn your craft. Everyone has their own style, favorites and processes. But we all share one thing.......the true joy of pellet smoked foods and our pellet smokers! Have fun!

Latest Discussions

Back