I Must Bid You All A Fond Adieu, Farewell

lpliv123

Reaction score
I know I am a short timer here but I have given up my PitBoss Pro1150 and am not buying another PitBoss product. After 3 controllers, countless excuses and misdirections I have returned my unit to Lowes. The final blow was receiving a controller that would not operate the auger or set at a temperature. Although being very nice and understanding at PitBoss I needed a unit that worked, i hope you all have pellet grills that actually work, I am expecting a Camp Chef Woodwind unit in a few days hoping that it will work better. When the PitBoss worked it was great but I could not depend on it to always work so adios basura... (Good bye garbage)

All the best

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
had the same experience as you, and the CampChef woodwind WiFi 24 has been such a stellar unit. Totally keeps temps and produces soooo much more smoke flavor than the 1150. I recommend everyone return their unit and spend a few hundred more to get a CC with the sidekick. Cheers

3 weeks in waiting on a replacement board that is on back order. I don't trust PB, I don't believe they are honest.
I wish I could simply return to Lowes but they won't take it due to their return window. Stuck with JUNK...........

Thanks for the encouragement Aeroin I'm looking forward to the new grill..
Burnt; There may be a round about way to get it done or get a new one if you're anywhere close to the 90 days.. I pushed my way thru (nicely) with the customer service people at PitBoss after building a history and never receiving a call back from tech support. I said I was tired of the crap and I either want a new unit or a refund. I told the CS person I didn't want to talk with them and if they wouldn't put me thru to the non responsive tech group I wanted to talk to a manager. She sent me thru to Jeriah in tech support who said if I hadn't purchased it directly that the refund would have to come from Lowes but I asked for a return authorization number which I was given. Now that I know this if I were still having this problem I would contact him directly.
This pushed the return thru at Lowes because they knew that they would be getting credit for the unit, no questions asked. I had talked to both the store manager and assistant manager one time for each return. (I decided to keep it and try again with my 3rd controller) If you have already done this, sorry but that is how I went about it,,,

Best of luck
Phil

Thanks for the advice. Giving it until 3/19. I'll probably have another talk with local Lowes about it. I am well past the 90 days ( it was purchased in Sept. as a Xmas gift so problems weren't found until after 12/25 )

3 weeks in waiting on a replacement board that is on back order. I don't trust PB, I don't believe they are honest.
I wish I could simply return to Lowes but they won't take it due to their return window. Stuck with JUNK...........
I have had nothing but excellent customer service from Dansons. Yes they did send me 2 controllers, but when that did not work, they offered to replace my entire grill. I opted for a free WIFI controller, which fixed the problem. They indicated if that did not do the trick, they would still replace my grill with the same model or anything similar. I have never had such great service on any product.

Congrats, you are one of the few "happily ever after" customers.
Your post reinforces my position, a brand new item shouldn't take multiple attempts to fix. My experience with CS has been less than stellar, mixed messages-no offers of replacement, in fact they blame everything else but themselves. They are marketing and selling a bad product.
My time is valuable, they cannot replace that which has been lost nor can they guarantee that this unit won't fail in the future. It would be nice to plan for a Saturday evening brisket meal but that ain't happening now.
Junk is Junk

I know I am a short timer here but I have given up my PitBoss Pro1150 and am not buying another PitBoss product. After 3 controllers, countless excuses and misdirections I have returned my unit to Lowes. The final blow was receiving a controller that would not operate the auger or set at a temperature. Although being very nice and understanding at PitBoss I needed a unit that worked, i hope you all have pellet grills that actually work, I am expecting a Camp Chef Woodwind unit in a few days hoping that it will work better. When the PitBoss worked it was great but I could not depend on it to always work so adios basura... (Good bye garbage)

All the best

Phil
Sorry To hear. I am in the market for a pellet grill. Even though my sister has a 700FB and is very happy, I will not become a Pit Boss customer.

The PitBoss Pro 850 was on my short list and I was days from pulling the trigger. After seeing the features of the existing controller's settings of 25-50 deg temp settings, and the challenge current customers are having with their pellet grills and with PitBoss customer service.

In addition to those problems. The ONLY way to upgrade the PID controller firmware is by returning the controller to the factory is UNACCEPTABLE. This is 2021, no one should have to send any HW back to the factory to get the firmware upgraded. It should be an over the air update, or download the firmware image from an online repository, and update it through a USB dongle from a PC.

I decided that the CampChef with a Gen2 controller with WiFi will be my pellet grill. My current top of the list Camp Chef is the Sportsman Warehouse branded grill. It is $100 more than the Pit Boss Pro 850 but peace of mind worth it. It is a little cheaper than the Woodwind series, but the Sportsman Warehouse Deluxe model has the same features without the color display.

Pit Boss needs a major overhaul in the companies leadership as Danson seems to keep digging themselves into a bigger hole. The problem with Danson is they have way too many Pellet grills with different models they need to focus on 3 Models along with a vertical might make a difference.

All the best

Phil

Hey Phil, Be sure to check out the new site for Camp Chef Owners:

It's a brand new site but we are hoping to get it going with more activity soon.

Pit Boss needs a major overhaul in the companies leadership as Danson seems to keep digging themselves into a bigger hole. The problem with Danson is they have way too many Pellet grills with different models they need to focus on 3 Models along with a vertical might make a difference.
Agree Dave. They also need to focus on ONE PID controller. From what I have witnessed, the PID controllers on the Walmart units are better than the Pro Series controllers.

Thanks for the encouragement Aeroin I'm looking forward to the new grill..
Burnt; There may be a round about way to get it done or get a new one if you're anywhere close to the 90 days.. I pushed my way thru (nicely) with the customer service people at PitBoss after building a history and never receiving a call back from tech support. I said I was tired of the crap and I either want a new unit or a refund. I told the CS person I didn't want to talk with them and if they wouldn't put me thru to the non responsive tech group I wanted to talk to a manager. She sent me thru to Jeriah in tech support who said if I hadn't purchased it directly that the refund would have to come from Lowes but I asked for a return authorization number which I was given. Now that I know this if I were still having this problem I would contact him directly.
This pushed the return thru at Lowes because they knew that they would be getting credit for the unit, no questions asked. I had talked to both the store manager and assistant manager one time for each return. (I decided to keep it and try again with my 3rd controller) If you have already done this, sorry but that is how I went about it,,,

Best of luck
Phil
I spoke with the Head of Quality Assurance for Dansons.
He explained this return process and offered to give RA#.
Only other option he offered was to replace my series 4 unit with a series 5.
I'll see how it goes at Lowes.

All the best

Phil
I hope me brill better. Sent a post to let all know

All the best

Phil
That sucks. My Pit Boss grill showed up inoperational after I had paid for delivery and assembly. After a few trips back & forth to Lowe's I gave up and fixed it myself. It's worked perfectly since then. Sorry about your bad luck!!

Latest Discussions

Back