I finally got what I wanted

snarl

Reaction score
For the past 5 years, I've had an enormous 5+1 burner gas grill. Over the past 2 years or so, I've noticed a propensity for grease to NOT drain into the grease trap...it would just sit on the lower tray under the burners. A few months ago, it caught fire and ruined my burgers, so I tossed it. We were planning on getting an extension to the porch poured, and I figured it would be the perfect time to get a new grill. I wanted a smoker, but my wife has always been hesitant...her stepdad bought one when she was a teenager and smoked EVERYTHING for about 6 months, then lost interest and SHE wound up being the only person to use it. She was reluctant to have the same thing happen again. Now, you also have to understand that I have acquired 4 propane bottles over the years, so I wanted the ability to actually use them (and let's face it, sometimes you just want to throw some hot dogs on the grill and not have to fire up a pit). So when I found the Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 II, I knew right away that it was EXACTLY what I wanted.

So I made burgers on it after the burn off, but noticed that the Pit Boss brand pellets I got were SUPER dusty.
On Memorial Day, I made a brisket. Sunday evening, I set the grill to 225 and let it go. It rained overnight, and when I woke up, the grill was at 177, despite being still set to 225. I had to hold down the prime button to feed extra pellets into the firepot to bring it back up to temperature. During the day, I set it to 250, and noticed that the temperature was at 205. Repeat the pellet feed procedure to correct it. I used an accurate probe thermometer, and found widely different readings between it, and what the controller reports, too. Is this something I should call support about?

The brisket still turned out fantastic, though.

Welcome! You're going to have different temps, hot spots and cold spots. With Pit Boss there is much more to fear sometimes unfortunately. There are MANY really creative ideas to look up in the Pit Boss Mods section where some of the more creative minds have come up with ways to even things out.

The issue I had wasn't with the temperature swing. The issue I had was that the temp dropped to 177 and the grill never tried to bring the temperature back up to the set point.

I smoked a pork butt this weekend, and used my ThermPro probe to monitor the interior temperature. On a few occasions, the grill reported a temperature WAAAY too high or WAAAY too low, but the probe reported that the temperature was within 5-10 degrees of the set point. Which begs another question: if the grill is reporting a temperature that wildly off from the set point, but a probe is reporting that the temp is close to the set point, one would assume that the controller is properly maintaining the temperature...so why is the display on the grill showing something horribly off? On other occassions, the grill reported a temperature of 250, but the probe said 194...I watched it swing back up to 276, then back down to 204....and the grill never wavered from reporting 250. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in its ability to report the correct temperature.

If I wanted to even out those temperature swings, I can wrap some bricks in aluminum foil and line the back of the grill with them...the extra mass will help maintain an even temperature.

Latest Discussions

Back