HI GUYS NEWBIE TO THE FORUM HERE. PRO SERIES 4 PELLET USAGE QUESTION.

SYLAR666

Reaction score
I'VE BEEN USING A PROPANE SMOKER FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND DECIDED TO MAKE AN UPGRADE. I BOUGHT THE PIT BOSS PRO SERIES 4 ELECTRIC SMOKER. MY BURNING QUESTION IS:
IS IT NECESSARY TO USE PELLETS IN THIS SMOKER(FILL THE HOPPER AND LET THE AUGER DO THE WORK)? I'VE BEEN USING A SMOKE TUBE FOR YEARS, AND HAVE HAD EXCELLENT RESULTS.
SO, THAT BEING SAID...CAN I USE THE SMOKE TUBE ONLY...AND LEAVE THE HOPPER DRY?
THANKS

I'VE BEEN USING A PROPANE SMOKER FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND DECIDED TO MAKE AN UPGRADE. I BOUGHT THE PIT BOSS PRO SERIES 4 ELECTRIC SMOKER. MY BURNING QUESTION IS:
IS IT NECESSARY TO USE PELLETS IN THIS SMOKER(FILL THE HOPPER AND LET THE AUGER DO THE WORK)? I'VE BEEN USING A SMOKE TUBE FOR YEARS, AND HAVE HAD EXCELLENT RESULTS.
SO, THAT BEING SAID...CAN I USE THE SMOKE TUBE ONLY...AND LEAVE THE HOPPER DRY?
THANKS

If you’re Cold Smoking only... Yes, you can use only a pellet smoke tube. If you’re Hot Smoking/bbqing, then you must have pellets in the hopper and run your smoker.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Im not sure why you wouldn't use pellets. Could have gotten an old fridge for free if just cold smoking. The pellets add just enough smoke and if you need xtra that smoke tube will give it to you. My buddy has the 4 and makes the best jerky in Idaho on it. Good buy.

Im not sure why you wouldn't use pellets. Could have gotten an old fridge for free if just cold smoking. The pellets add just enough smoke and if you need xtra that smoke tube will give it to you. My buddy has the 4 and makes the best jerky in Idaho on it. Good buy.
Maybe I'm not understanding how the heating system works on this electric smoker. Does it have a separate heating element or is it strictly heated by the smoke/firebox?

Do you have a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker or do you have Pit Boss vertical electric smoker? Pit Boss sells both and they are completely different as far as the heat source and operation. Answer that question first and then someone will be able to help you.

1611691363062.png
1611691363062.png

Do you have a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker or do you have Pit Boss vertical electric smoker? Pit Boss sells both and they are completely different as far as the heat source and operation. Answer that question first and then someone will be able to help you.

Pellet.

You have to use pellets in this model. You can use it as a cold smoker by using a pellet tube with the Pit Boss turned off. But as stated that is a waste of money to buy it and only use it as a cold smoker. The pellets not only smoke but make heat. A smoke tube produces very little heat.

You have to use pellets in this model. You can use it as a cold smoker by using a pellet tube with the Pit Boss turned off. But as stated that is a waste of money to buy it and only use it as a cold smoker. The pellets not only smoke but make heat. A smoke tube produces very little heat.
Looks like a PBV 4 PS2

Latest Discussions

Back