Hey guys newbie ready to learn

Doubleapb

Reaction score
Had my new smoker now for a couple of weeks. So far 3 Briskets, 2 Whole Chickens, and 5 Baby Back Ribs.
So far the Briskets came out okay but I would have liked the meat to be more tender.
Chicken was good but i Brined them so they did good from that.
Ribs, weeeelllll! The first two came out great, the other 3 not as good. Really still got to figure out how to make the meat more tender.
Happy to be here

20200411_190520.jpg

20200403_192719.jpg

20200323_173255.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! Regarding the ribs. I thought I had it nailed with a 3-1.5-1 method (3 hours smoke- 225, 1.5 hours wrapped in foil 250, 1 hour unwrapped in sauce 250) until last weekend. I could only find frozen baby backs and had to quick thaw them in the sink with warm water. This must of had an impact because they were not as tender as my previous cook. Anyway, always something to discover and work on. Have you ever tried the Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Malibu Chicken recipe? It's a game changer and family favorite!

Welcome to the forum @Doubleapb - Food looks great! I love me some Baby Rays sauce. What method did you use for cooking the brisket?

Straight cook, seasoned and cooked on smoker for around 6hrs, was only 8lb brisket. Learned i needed a water container for moisture.

Had my new smoker now for a couple of weeks. So far 3 Briskets, 2 Whole Chickens, and 5 Baby Back Ribs.
So far the Briskets came out okay but I would have liked the meat to be more tender.
Chicken was good but i Brined them so they did good from that.
Ribs, weeeelllll! The first two came out great, the other 3 not as good. Really still got to figure out how to make the meat more tender.
Happy to be here
look good very good job

On the ribs I smoke them at 180ish for 3 hours, then wrap and go to 200 for 2 hours, let sit for about 30 minutes before I sauce, then put them back on at 250 until temps internally hit about 205-208, take them off and let them rest again for about 30 minutes then serve, falls right off the bone every time! The low 200,s are key for tenderness.

On the ribs I smoke them at 180ish for 3 hours, then wrap and go to 200 for 2 hours, let sit for about 30 minutes before I sauce, then put them back on at 250 until temps internally hit about 205-208, take them off and let them rest again for about 30 minutes then serve, falls right off the bone every time! The low 200,s are key for tenderness.

What wood flavor do you use?
I am going follow your cooking times next time

Been using the competition blend or hickory. Had good flavor with those.

And don’t be afraid to tinker with your cook times and heats! When I first started smoking I’d go grab a small $8-$9 dollar rack and experiment before I moved into bigger cooks. Just remember meat stops absorbing smoke around 165-170 degrees that’s why I roll low and slow for longer than some. And that low 200 degree mark is key to tenderness.

Idk if this is you first time cooking ribs but I’ll throw it out there please don’t forget to remove the membrane! I did the first time and it really messed them up, but I know a lot of people who never have done ribs before don’t even know about it. There’s a bunch of YouTube videos out there on it my go to guy Malcolm runs a channel HowToBBQ right has a ton of amazing cooks and tips. Good luck!

Attachments

• A7BF27D6-2F78-4067-8150-CCFA6AC84DC5.jpeg
    A7BF27D6-2F78-4067-8150-CCFA6AC84DC5.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 50
  • A8EFFC37-4FCB-4260-B7E9-71F0A0E415AE.jpeg
    A8EFFC37-4FCB-4260-B7E9-71F0A0E415AE.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 47

Latest Discussions

Back