Help with Rehabbing a PBV4PS2 back to life!!

collinscody36

Reaction score
I just received a used PVB4PS2 from a friend that didn't want to take the time to try to get this smoker working. He purchased it, used it 3-4 times and it stopped working with the "ERR" and "FAN" flashing on the control panel.

I brought it home, took everything apart, cleaned out all the old gummed up pellets, and then I found the main issue...

It looks as if he was running it with the Ash Clean Out Tray pulled out slightly to where the auger was dumping pellets behind this and running down into the draft fan box. With these pellets down there and the igniter still running it caused the fan to seize up and then completely melt away.

I have since ordered a new fan thinking replacing this would fix the ERR FAN code but I plugged it in last night and no such luck...:cry:

I then went a step further and got my electrical meter out and traced the neutrals wires that are daisy chained between all the components and everything rang out just fine. I then plugged the unit and tested power at each of the connectors. I am getting 120V at the fan but when plugged in it does not work...

Anybody have any ideas on how to troubleshoot past what I have already done? Could this be an issue with the control panel itself even though I am getting power at the fan connector? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 310532544_380502400848252_6960814726333168954_n.jpg
    310532544_380502400848252_6960814726333168954_n.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 33
If
I just received a used PVB4PS2 from a friend that didn't want to take the time to try to get this smoker working. He purchased it, used it 3-4 times and it stopped working with the "ERR" and "FAN" flashing on the control panel.

I brought it home, took everything apart, cleaned out all the old gummed up pellets, and then I found the main issue...

It looks as if he was running it with the Ash Clean Out Tray pulled out slightly to where the auger was dumping pellets behind this and running down into the draft fan box. With these pellets down there and the igniter still running it caused the fan to seize up and then completely melt away.

I have since ordered a new fan thinking replacing this would fix the ERR FAN code but I plugged it in last night and no such luck...:cry:

I then went a step further and got my electrical meter out and traced the neutrals wires that are daisy chained between all the components and everything rang out just fine. I then plugged the unit and tested power at each of the connectors. I am getting 120V at the fan but when plugged in it does not work...

Anybody have any ideas on how to troubleshoot past what I have already done? Could this be an issue with the control panel itself even though I am getting power at the fan connector? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you ohm-out the other leg (neutral leg) what do you have? Is it open or shorted out? If you have 120v on one leg the other leg must not be making it to ground.

Last edited:
Back