Help with new Pit Boss 1150 temp control.

Same here, bought my PB1150PS2 two weeks before thanksgiving at lowes in northern cali.. "S" will stick at 180, but if you setup 225 or 250, it wont get above 208-215... its been a nice 65-70f and no wind.. but it'll keep 300+ totally rock solid. I called and the rep sounded confident that a new PID would fix it.. now its on backorder 4-8 weeks. Also the SmokeIT app is total garbage, don't even waste your time.

I just got my 1150, same issue. 250 drops to about 190-200. 300 stays at 300. I don't know what to do? I have not tried other temps yet. I live in California and it was 67f today.
Doing more testing. I have not tried the "S" setting yet. I want to cook at 190f. So I set 200f which is the closest setting. Temperature goes to 170-175, so I tried setting 225. No change... So I set it to 250. Now it gets to 180! So I can cook at 175, 180, or 300. I can't cook at anything in between 180 and 300. This it's a new grill, second time using it.

I have not called Pit Boss yet, but will on Monday. I'll report back.

Last edited:
Doing more testing. I have not tried the "S" setting yet. I want to cook at 190f. So I set 200f which is the closest setting. Temperature goes to 170-175, so I tried setting 225. No change... So I set it to 250. Now it gets to 180! So I can cook at 175, 180, or 300. I can't cook at anything in between 180 and 300. This it's a new grill, second time using it.

I have not called Pit Boss yet, but will on Monday. I'll report back.
I think I have figured out why the smoker would keep going back to 180F, but I still have issues with the 250F setting not holding (holds at about 210-215). I was using the meat probe #1 (MPC) and had it set for a lower temp thinking the app would notify me when it reached that temp. I found that when you set a temp on probe #1 then press MPC until the screen shows a "C" that after the grill reaches the programed temp under MPC that it will automatedly lower the grill to 180F to keep warm. I was fighting the grill by raising the temperature manually then the grill kept lowering it back to 180F. I tried to find what "C" on the display means, but it is not listed in the owners manual so I had to figure this out by trial and error.

Now that I have the MPC thing figured out I am having the same issues as others, at the 250F setting the temp drops and stays at about 210F. 300 seems like works fine and I am not sure what 225F does. If I raise the setting to 300 until the grill gets over 250 then lower it to 250 it will drop to 250 and hold at 250 rock solid for about ten minutes, then suddenly and quickly drop to about 210 where it will stabilize and stay in about a 5 degree range of 210.

I think I have figured out why the smoker would keep going back to 180F, but I still have issues with the 250F setting not holding (holds at about 210-215). I was using the meat probe #1 (MPC) and had it set for a lower temp thinking the app would notify me when it reached that temp. I found that when you set a temp on probe #1 then press MPC until the screen shows a "C" that after the grill reaches the programed temp under MPC that it will automatedly lower the grill to 180F to keep warm. I was fighting the grill by raising the temperature manually then the grill kept lowering it back to 180F. I tried to find what "C" on the display means, but it is not listed in the owners manual so I had to figure this out by trial and error.

Now that I have the MPC thing figured out I am having the same issues as others, at the 250F setting the temp drops and stays at about 210F. 300 seems like works fine and I am not sure what 225F does. If I raise the setting to 300 until the grill gets over 250 then lower it to 250 it will drop to 250 and hold at 250 rock solid for about ten minutes, then suddenly and quickly drop to about 210 where it will stabilize and stay in about a 5 degree range of 210.
I bet the issue is the firmware within the controller as there must be some glitch. Hopefully PB fixes it soon.

Bought my PB1150 on Monday before Thanksgiving. I have used it three times, and experience the same issues with temperature as everyone else. I put a regular oven thermometer in the barrel, and at setting of 300, barrel was 225, right next to the PB probe. Smoked a turkey on Thanksgiving, before I figured this out. Probe said it was done, but I didn't believe it, so left it in a while longer. Took it out, went to carve it an hour or so later, and it was definitely not done! Increased setpoint to 350, and put it on for another 1.5 hours. Good thing it was only my wife and I, and no guests!
I hope PB can resolve this. Will call them ASAP.

Bought my PB1150 on Monday before Thanksgiving. I have used it three times, and experience the same issues with temperature as everyone else. I put a regular oven thermometer in the barrel, and at setting of 300, barrel was 225, right next to the PB probe. Smoked a turkey on Thanksgiving, before I figured this out. Probe said it was done, but I didn't believe it, so left it in a while longer. Took it out, went to carve it an hour or so later, and it was definitely not done! Increased setpoint to 350, and put it on for another 1.5 hours. Good thing it was only my wife and I, and no guests!
I hope PB can resolve this. Will call them ASAP.
Called PB this afternoon, and received a call back. This is a known problem with the PB1150, and corporate is still trying to figure out a solution. So, we need to be patient. I have learned to adapt with the temperatures, although it is not an ideal situation. There will be options for us with the PB1150 units.

Called PB this afternoon, and received a call back. This is a known problem with the PB1150, and corporate is still trying to figure out a solution. So, we need to be patient. I have learned to adapt with the temperatures, although it is not an ideal situation. There will be options for us with the PB1150 units.
Glad they are acknowledging the problem, interested what our options will be.....

So I am doing my second cook on my new Pit Boss 1150 and it simply will not hold temp at 250. I live in a colder area, but it's not particularly cold during this cook (50deg). Do I need to buy the insulation blanket for this thing to hold at 250?
I have done several cooks at higher temps, and they cooked perfect. Unfortunately when I tried to cook some beef ribs at 250 I had to keep manually turning the temp to 300 to get it to raise to 250. I used different pellets and it was about 40 degrees on this cook, before the temps had been above 70 degrees outside.I am not sure if it an issue with the grill , the pellets or the outside temp. I want to do another cook at 250 with my original pellets to see if it resolves the issue before I call Pitt Boss.

I have done several cooks at higher temps, and they cooked perfect. Unfortunately when I tried to cook some beef ribs at 250 I had to keep manually turning the temp to 300 to get it to raise to 250. I used different pellets and it was about 40 degrees on this cook, before the temps had been above 70 degrees outside.I am not sure if it an issue with the grill , the pellets or the outside temp. I want to do another cook at 250 with my original pellets to see if it resolves the issue before I call Pitt Boss.
I have only used one type of pellet, in 70 degree temp my 250 got to 225ish at 60 wouldn’t cross 190.

So I am doing my second cook on my new Pit Boss 1150 and it simply will not hold temp at 250. I live in a colder area, but it's not particularly cold during this cook (50deg). Do I need to buy the insulation blanket for this thing to hold at 250?
Call tech support there is a issue with the 1150,

I have the same trouble and I was informed its in the control board

Call tech support there is a issue with the 1150,

I have the same trouble and I was informed its in the control board
I too bought my 1150 PS2 a week before thanksgiving. I mentioned this in another thread, I live in Texas where the climate is much warmer and humidity is much higher than most. I smoked my thanksgiving turkey at 250 for about 9 hours with no problem. It was in the low 80’s thanksgiving day. My goal was to cook at 275 for a shorter cook. Problem is, there is no 275 temp. So far that is my only complaint.

I bought mine around the 1st to November. Had the exact same issue as you and everybody else on this it wouldn't do anything in the 2 hundreds would do 300 and above perfectly. Just returned mine 3 days ago Camp Chef on the way!

Hopefully, Pit Boss will be able to send out a fix via WiFi/Bluetooth to the Controllers Firmware too correct the Temp setting issues. Much easier to download an update to fix glitches, then to have someone have to wait and replace an entire Controller... It would be more cost effective as well. Dansons Corp/Pit Boss is a great company and hopefully the fix will be available soon.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Seeing everyone talking about a case number I called pitboss back, the representative I spoke to was well informed of the issue!
Corporate is hush hush about what the outcome will be and it appears that the issue is dealing with a overheating capability they tried to tie into the programming and it hasn’t performed as expected. problem only pertains to the 1150ps2, if under 90 days you can return to Lowe’s no questions asked.

I was reassured this has the correct level of attention and a solution is in the works but the representatives have been left in the dark (probably to not promise false hope before it’s obtainable)

so I like the pitboss if I exchange it what would you all recommend as an alternative? I like the Bluetooth capability of being able to use my PB probes but I can buy an after market solution for that.

Latest Discussions

Back