Help with new Pit Boss 1150 temp control.

Kwolly

Reaction score
So I am doing my second cook on my new Pit Boss 1150 and it simply will not hold temp at 250. I live in a colder area, but it's not particularly cold during this cook (50deg). Do I need to buy the insulation blanket for this thing to hold at 250?

So I am doing my second cook on my new Pit Boss 1150 and it simply will not hold temp at 250. I live in a colder area, but it's not particularly cold during this cook (50deg). Do I need to buy the insulation blanket for this thing to hold at 250?
it yours the PB1150PS2 with the PID control?
I have the 850 with PID and it seems to hold temps very well, I don't know how accurate but it stays where I set it.
I noticed my auger feed ratio is always the same no matter the temp. setting, 20 seconds off and 1 second on.
sometimes no pellets feed at all when on but that's what it does.

50 degrees is fine as you may get a 5 degree offset at that temp. Overall it should hold the temp at 250. What I recommend is to preheat the grill to 350 once it is at 350 remain there for 10 minutes then drop the temp to 250. 50 degrees plus if you have wind it may cause 250 to struggle a little, but try the warm up.

it yours the PB1150PS2 with the PID control?
I have the 850 with PID and it seems to hold temps very well, I don't know how accurate but it stays where I set it.
I noticed my auger feed ratio is always the same no matter the temp. setting, 20 seconds off and 1 second on.
sometimes no pellets feed at all when on but that's what it does.
Yeah, that is the one. I will hold 300+ just fine, but if I set it at 250, it will only hold 190-200.

50 degrees is fine as you may get a 5 degree offset at that temp. Overall it should hold the temp at 250. What I recommend is to preheat the grill to 350 once it is at 350 remain there for 10 minutes then drop the temp to 250. 50 degrees plus if you have wind it may cause 250 to struggle a little, but try the warm up.
I'll give that a shot my next cook. Otherwise it may be back to store. I really only bought it for low and slows and 250 is key. Thanks!

I'll give that a shot my next cook. Otherwise it may be back to store. I really only bought it for low and slows and 250 is key. Thanks!
I personally beleive if it is 75 degress you will be fine. I have a Yoder s640 which is twice the cost and I have to warm up when outisde temps are below 50 degrees. Give it try and see what happens as everything with a Pit Boss is try it and learn from it.

Big thread discussing this very issue good read if you get time.

I recently bought the same unit and have the same exact issue. Holds 225 and 300 well but not 250. And just so you're aware, its not really at the set point just because it doesn't move. Connect a probe and inside and you'll see the temps are different through the barrel and lower in most places than the set point.

I just got my 1150, same issue. 250 drops to about 190-200. 300 stays at 300. I don't know what to do? I have not tried other temps yet. I live in California and it was 67f today.

I just got my 1150, same issue. 250 drops to about 190-200. 300 stays at 300. I don't know what to do? I have not tried other temps yet. I live in California and it was 67f today.

Josh keep calling Pit Boss support as it definetly sounds like a controller issue as there are too many consumers with the same issue. I would stress to them this needs to be fixed or they need to send you a new controller.

When I called customer service they said give it about 5-6 cooks to “learn” and the problem will correct it’s self 🙄 keep on calling. I will continue to call after every cook

When I called customer service they said give it about 5-6 cooks to “learn” and the problem will correct it’s self 🙄 keep on calling. I will continue to call after every cook
Wow...so the grill controller has artificial intelligence and learn after every cook. It sounds like they are stalling right now to figure out how to fix it in my opinion.

I think something is going on with Pit Boss, I sent a test message to check their response.

Latest Discussions

Back