Hello from FL

OU812

Reaction score
Hello everyone. new to pellet grills not new to smoking food.Been charcoal & wood for quite some time and was interested in the pellet grill life !! One can never have enough of BBQ tools, so a pellet grill was missing in my line up of kettles barrels,bullets and small economy rigs for taking to buds homes who dont have a clue but want to learn. Auto fan unit on barrel was used a lot on big cuts like 15 lb briskets and large pork butts too.

Anyhow not knowing a whole lot other than other friends who have what else ...Pit Boss pellet grills. They all are happy customers so I knew product was decent. I found a small unit (516" of cooking space) WiFi/Blue Tooth ,mini hopper of 5lbs, steel wheeled cart and SS serving platter and the infamous bottle opener ( nice touch ) I bought it for $215 + tax OTD @ $229.00 from Target Which seemed pretty good for a small unit and having a few bigger grill features like the WiFi & BT seemed like a steal.

The model number isnt on their website which may mean it must be a retailer offering from PB. The model on the box is 465D3 ......beats me kinda looks like the 500 grill they make except I do not have the domed temp gauge, mine is with out a bezel. (See pic below) anyone with any info or experience with this rig please advise on any mods you may have made , its weakness's ( one is the hopper but an extension is available i see ) I dont have to cook for no more than 2-3 people at a time and I am the bigger eater of the group so I'll be OK .

Bought some competition blend and a buddy who bought a Rectec gave me a 40lb bag of their pellets. I will most likely place some of my cuts on a grill with a separate pan under it to catch drippings. I've been doing it on charcoal & wood burners and have kept them free of grease sludge buildup. I am meticulous with keeping rigs clean ( not unseasoned, just no grease sludge building up ) so the chore of cleaning the pot out and vacuuming up ash wont be an issue at all. I havent assembled the unit yet as I am busy with doing home repairs like putting on new roof and AC unit being installed.

1652792083693.png

Hello everyone. new to pellet grills not new to smoking food.Been charcoal & wood for quite some time and was interested in the pellet grill life !! One can never have enough of BBQ tools, so a pellet grill was missing in my line up of kettles barrels,bullets and small economy rigs for taking to buds homes who dont have a clue but want to learn. Auto fan unit on barrel was used a lot on big cuts like 15 lb briskets and large pork butts too.

Anyhow not knowing a whole lot other than other friends who have what else ...Pit Boss pellet grills. They all are happy customers so I knew product was decent. I found a small unit (516" of cooking space) WiFi/Blue Tooth ,mini hopper of 5lbs, steel wheeled cart and SS serving platter and the infamous bottle opener ( nice touch ) I bought it for $215 + tax OTD @ $229.00 from Target Which seemed pretty good for a small unit and having a few bigger grill features like the WiFi & BT seemed like a steal.

The model number isnt on their website which may mean it must be a retailer offering from PB. The model on the box is 465D3 ......beats me kinda looks like the 500 grill they make except I do not have the domed temp gauge, mine is with out a bezel. (See pic below) anyone with any info or experience with this rig please advise on any mods you may have made , its weakness's ( one is the hopper but an extension is available i see ) I dont have to cook for no more than 2-3 people at a time and I am the bigger eater of the group so I'll be OK .

Bought some competition blend and a buddy who bought a Rectec gave me a 40lb bag of their pellets. I will most likely place some of my cuts on a grill with a separate pan under it to catch drippings. I've been doing it on charcoal & wood burners and have kept them free of grease sludge buildup. I am meticulous with keeping rigs clean ( not unseasoned, just no grease sludge building up ) so the chore of cleaning the pot out and vacuuming up ash wont be an issue at all. I havent assembled the unit yet as I am busy with doing home repairs like putting on new roof and AC unit being installed.

View attachment 2630
Welcome to the group from Texas!!!
Roll that smoke 💨!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Welcome....Your right, that model number isn't listed on their site.
I figure it may be made for Target as a retailer item but still unclear. Not big rather small (516" of grill space) it is an exact copy of this unit except the 440 doesnt have the Smoke-It app built into the controller.

And the other thing is I do not have the bezel mounted temp gauge on the barrel, just the gauge itself. Other than that its basically the same grill and the price point was too good to pass up . I saved a few bucks which is always nice ....Especially nowadays !!

Pit Boss Mahogany 440 Deluxe Wood Pellet Grill - SKU 72455​

1652822458104.png

Thank you all !! I hope I can learn some pointers as you all are experienced with these grills and I have seen some superb creations. I have read a lot of responses and all of you reach out & help which is great !!👍

I have a question..... I believe the hot pot may be on the L/side, should I position my separate WiFi pit probe opposite or on the side where the PitBoss pit probe is positioned? I most likely will just use my InkBird WiFi unit I have .

I have read that if you can afford to, that its usually a good move towards seeing actual temps (all of my probes have been calibrated correctly and are pretty much accurate) as a lot of the units arent so accurate. Not sure if its model specific or some have inert flaws due to possible design parameters.

Also ...I dont know if smaller grills have some of the quirks that could benefit from some of the mods I see . I wont be searing with it so the flame broiler will be closed.I was wondering if the hot pot deflector would be a mod this unit could use as I see it keeps a lot of ash basically from blowing and scattering all over the underside of the baffle plate .............or if it would even fit such a small barrel.

👍

Yep, welcome from another Floridian.... But not for long as my time in Florida is coming to an end after 22 years!

Welcome to the PB club!
Been here since '85 Born here then moved when I was 6 yrs old. .Then came back...Would love to move to TN outside Nashville ..30 miles or so would be fine in any direction.Have some friends in Lebanon .Getting nuts down here in Broward & Palm Bch Cnty..so a move to another state is an option that I entertain a lot.

Winters not too bad in Lebanon TN ( I lived upstate NY by Albany Cold in the winter) and short summers.Great Fall season though... which I do love. But TN would be my ideal re location spot for me.My pension wouldnt be taxed by the state which is good and just like FL........Good luck with your move.

Latest Discussions

Back