Hello From CA's Central Valley

lpliv123

Reaction score
Hello All... I just joined and am really pumped about pellet grilling. I just purchased an Pro1150 and have used it four times in the last eight days. (My wife doesn't want food cooked that way every day lol) I have been a weber guy smoking with a Smokey Mtn. and grilling with the kettle. I used the PitMaster IQ on the smoker and was really happy with it but just got tired of all the extra work required for a wood or charcoal cooker..
I can't believe it took me so long to go over to the dark side lol. The three first cooks went well with 300-450 degree cooking but the last one was sort of a pain having the temp stay stable because I smoked the ribs for several hours. I have had the same 225/250 issues with the 1150 not keeping the temps close to chosen temperature. I did a bunch of reading on this forum and found that I wasn't the only one. After a conversation with Pit Boss I came away encouraged that they are aware of it and John from Pit Boss said he thought that there was firmware update that should be released late December. I guess we'll see....
At any rate I'm looking forward to participating on this forum and learning a lot about pellet smokers...

Phil

Hello All... I just joined and am really pumped about pellet grilling. I just purchased an Pro1150 and have used it four times in the last eight days. (My wife doesn't want food cooked that way every day lol) I have been a weber guy smoking with a Smokey Mtn. and grilling with the kettle. I used the PitMaster IQ on the smoker and was really happy with it but just got tired of all the extra work required for a wood or charcoal cooker..
I can't believe it took me so long to go over to the dark side lol. The three first cooks went well with 300-450 degree cooking but the last one was sort of a pain having the temp stay stable because I smoked the ribs for several hours. I have had the same 225/250 issues with the 1150 not keeping the temps close to chosen temperature. I did a bunch of reading on this forum and found that I wasn't the only one. After a conversation with Pit Boss I came away encouraged that they are aware of it and John from Pit Boss said he thought that there was firmware update that should be released late December. I guess we'll see....
At any rate I'm looking forward to participating on this forum and learning a lot about pellet smokers...

Phil
Welcome! Glad you received the same confidence from Pitboss I did. Guess we will just wait and see.

Welcome to the forum and you beat me to it. I just got an email stating that they are releasing a new firmware update to see if this does resolve the problem. The individual said it will be soon so I am glad support is giving an actual time frame.

I think I might apply for a job at Danson as much as I communicate with them.

Welcome to the forum and you beat me to it. I just got an email stating that they are releasing a new firmware update to see if this does resolve the problem. The individual said it will be soon so I am glad support is giving an actual time frame.

I think I might apply for a job at Danson as much as I communicate with them.
Firmware update... I thought so... Good news and definitely at the right time.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Phil
Welcome to the World of Pellet Smoking Phil... A couple of tips... Always keep the burn pot of your new grill clean after every cook. To much ash in the burn pot can cause a flameout... and for extra smoke for your bbq, always start your cooks Low and Slow for the first couple of hours and then bump up the temp to finish.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Welcome Phil you are in the right place and we have alot of members that will help out and members that know everything and anything about firmware updates.

Thanks all for the welcome and input, I'm really looking forward to learning from you all. Glad to hear there are behavior rules here too, I tend to mostly avoid forums now because they can get so verbally violent.. I wanted to follow up on a conversation I had with PB yesterday. I was told that there is a Smoke Density Control on the 1150 which is absolutely not true as I currently understand it, there is no "S" in the led read out or as a separate line in the temp controller.. I asked him if the lower temps were the smoking temps just not noted as such and he said that there was a "S". Hmmmm He also mentioned that the dial was analog but I'm pretty sure it's digital... So far I've experienced my first flame out, some pretty volatile temp fluxuations and some really awesome smoke taste on a rack of St. Louis style ribs.. Still thinking about that one...
Today I'm going to smoke some cured pork belly to a temp of around 150F hoping that I can keep the 1150 to temps close to 225 and then I'll have to painfully eat it.. Sorry I need to suffer bacon again.. The WSM was great for this I hope the 1150 follows suit because I don't think that the friend who bought my WSM will give me my smoker back.,,,, lol

Have a great day

Phil

hello Phil,
you are right, there is not a Smoke Density Control as advertised, I would like them to tell us how to use it. I asked that question on their website but I don't expect them to answer it.
But there is an S for smoke on the digital dial, it looks like a 5.
So at the S setting the grill maintains a lower temp. although not a set temp. it will vary between 165 and 225 ish.
Also if you get a chance, time the auger feed and let me know what you get, on mine it feeds for 1 second and pauses for 20 seconds, at all temp settings, I think the fan is what's keeping the temp. steady.

hello Phil,
you are right, there is not a Smoke Density Control as advertised, I would like them to tell us how to use it. I asked that question on their website but I don't expect them to answer it.
But there is an S for smoke on the digital dial, it looks like a 5.
So at the S setting the grill maintains a lower temp. although not a set temp. it will vary between 165 and 225 ish.
Also if you get a chance, time the auger feed and let me know what you get, on mine it feeds for 1 second and pauses for 20 seconds, at all temp settings, I think the fan is what's keeping the temp. steady.
I still have not received an answer on this Smoke Denisty Control thing, but I am trying.

Dave and MK-HB, thanks for the response and the update.. I haven't had a chance to do the timing thing but will do it when have a chance. The last cook was smoking pork belly and since it was my first time on the grill I wasn't thinking about it. (sorry) I am assuming that the best time to do the auger recording would be when I was cooking at higher temps. I did listen to the auger feed process off and on but wasn't able to discern the timing.. I'll pay more attention during a regular cook
I have come to the conclusion on the probes though, I don't really trust them as much as I did with my Weber Bluetooth probes. Maybe it's just a matter of repeated use or poorly placed probes but I haven't had problems in the past with my other probes. I have had to finish stuff off in the oven due to under cooking. (ribs and bacon)
I had to laugh when I saw your response to the S designation I really thought it was a five.. pretty funny.
Have a great weekend

Phil

PS BTW (third edit lol) The temperatures seem to be holding pretty steady.. And is there anything wrong with having a little faster warm up by keeping the fire pot shield open during the start up time... thanks again

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back