Heat fluctuations

Usaerma1

Reaction score
Purchased 830D a year ago,set on smoke for 10 minutes and then set to desired temperature close lid. The temperature rises to temperature I had set it maintain for about 30 minutes after that the would go up around 30 degrees and then drop around 30 degrees below the desired temperature. I've talked to several representatives and received a new heating probe later received a new control box and it still does it. I clean it after every cook,keep my pellets dry I even go as far to sift the pellets to keep them dust free the best I can. Is there anybody that has had this problem and if so were they able to solve it? Thank you

Are you using a separate thermometer to verify those temperature swings? 25-50deg would be normal. Outdoor temp, wind all effects the smoker. I turn mine up a hair to keep my desired temperature sometimes down if it's hot outside.

Like Mike said I would use an accurate seperate thermometer. I use a Thermoworks Smoke to check grill and internal meat temps. I find temps do vary depending on the setting. Just installed the updated firmware controller in my 850 so it will be a new learning experience. Good luck

The one thing that creates and holds a temp setting steady is thermal mass.... which is something these grills and smokers do not possess. Even a light breeze can seriously affect how temps swing. When it comes to PIDs and thermocouples (these are the parts that make the heat systems in these grills/smokers operate) they are designed and built on a percentage basis. What that means is that the cheaper the PID or the thermocouple, the more variance in tolerance it has..... for example I would suspect the PIDs and Thermocouples used in these grills and smokers are fairly cheap units, and are likely in the 5-7% variance range. What that means is that if you were to set the temp to 250f degrees..... the actual reading would be considered accurate if it was 7% above, or 7% below 250F degrees

What's the math on that? At 7% variance, that would mean 232f-276F. That's just the facts of the devices we're dealing with. IF conditions are ideal, and you can hold temps in these grills/smokers with 10F of the setpoint.... consider yourself very lucky.

How do I know this? I have 30 years of Blacksmithing/Bladesmithing experience, and have used PIDs and thermocouples in forge, and heat treating oven applications ever since they became publicly available.

Try using fire bricks under the grates and make sure your temperature sensor is clean.

I think the 830D has a timer controller, if so, those temperature swings would be normal.
If it has a PID controller it would not be normal.

Latest Discussions

Back