Gift for Husband

Heather101

Reaction score
Hi there! I’m looking at buying a smoker for my husband as a gift but I’m having a hard time comparing the models (I’m not knowledgeable myself) He wants something to make brisket / ribsn but also something that he can do steaks as well. He does like some bells and whistles.

Im not as worried about cost as I am that I don’t get him something that he wants to upgrade in a few years. I’d rather get something nice now that will last.

I know he wants to purchase locally and has mentioned pitboss so that’s what I’m focusing on. I think they’re also affiliated with Louisiana Grills so I’d be open to those as well if that would be a better option.

I’d really appreciate any help/suggestions as this is just not something I know a lot about and searching online seems to just confuse me more. Thanks!

I have a pitboss 820 and love it. !! I’ve smoked ribs , chicken and pork butt. I’ve also grilled a steak on it. Smoked it for 30 minutes then turned the heat on high.
wife and I loved it.
I’d go pitboss

Check out the smoker grills, let him pick, this way he'll be happy
You’re probably right….. I find them all so confusing.
I’m currently trying to determine the differences between the navigator and pro series.

Go with a pellet grill and not a smoker. I also have an 820 and it’s amazing. Made multiple ribs, briskets and burgers. I had to make 75 burgers in 2.5 hrs for a graduation party and everyone loved them. This grill is magic. Also to add, pitboss is just as good as trager and the pellet bags are twice the size for the same price.

Pro series has the wifi, so you can check the temps and make adjustments on your smart phone. Navigator doesn't have wifi, manually controlled, like a oven. Up to him if he wants wifi, some say the more bells and whistles, more chance something will break.

Go with a pellet grill and not a smoker. I also have an 820 and it’s amazing. Made multiple ribs, briskets and burgers. I had to make 75 burgers in 2.5 hrs for a graduation party and everyone loved them. This grill is magic. Also to add, pitboss is just as good as trager and the pellet bags are twice the size for the same price.
Yes! I did mean pellet grill (I’m incorrectly calling it a smoker)

Is there any benefit to the combo gas / pellet machines?
Not if you’re looking to smoke meat in my opinion. Pitboss smoker grills can do most everything. Think of it like the old commercials “Set it....and forget it!” Spruce it up with a wifi controller and he can be a grilling man from work even

Hi Heather, I don't think there is any one grill that I would be completely happy with. Do you have space for two? What do you have now, and are your plans to keep it too?

I'm asking because I have a PB pro 820 "smoker grill" yet I really like my gas grill for quick cooks. Especially in winter, when its raining and I don't want to mess around with a power cord, just uncover the gas grill, light it and start cooking quickly.

Hi Heather, I don't think there is any one grill that I would be completely happy with. Do you have space for two? What do you have now, and are your plans to keep it too?

I'm asking because I have a PB pro 820 "smoker grill" yet I really like my gas grill for quick cooks. Especially in winter, when its raining and I don't want to mess around with a power cord, just uncover the gas grill, light it and start cooking quickly.
Hmmmm, yes. I was wondering if it was reasonable to assume that we’d be getting rid of our current bbq or not…..

Hmmmm, yes. I was wondering if it was reasonable to assume that we’d be getting rid of our current bbq or not…..

In the past 25+ years I've always had a gas grill and a kettle type grill. Two years ago I added the pellet smoker / grill because I wanted to smoke ribs and I could barely fit two racks in the BGE, and they were not very good on the gas grills.

I like the pellet smoker for ribs, tri-tip, beer can chicken, but I do burgers and veggies on the gas grill. I know you can use the PB as a grill, yet it is faster and easier to use the gasser.

I still use my BGE but I'm finding I use the pellet more often because it is just easy.

I have four grills right now: and I've used them all in the past month or so and I have the space.

here is where I've cooked things recently.

PB pro 820: Pork Ribs, Tri Tip, Beer Can smoked Chicken,
Big Green Egg : Pork Shoulder ( Pork Butt ), Pork Tenderloin roast
Weber genesis E330: Burgers, Salmon Burgers, Fire roasted Peppers, Shrimp, Beer Can Chicken, grilled veggies, Pizza, and used it as an oven twice during the last heat wave.
Weber genesis Silver B: Rotisserie chicken, and this is my new favorite way to cook chicken if I'm not wanting heavy smoke flavor.

if you have room consider getting a new grill that excels in smoking, and if it does grilling OK that's probably OK, but if you have another grill, keep it and use it if it makes sense.

good luck!

In the past 25+ years I've always had a gas grill and a kettle type grill. Two years ago I added the pellet smoker / grill because I wanted to smoke ribs and I could barely fit two racks in the BGE, and they were not very good on the gas grills.

I like the pellet smoker for ribs, tri-tip, beer can chicken, but I do burgers and veggies on the gas grill. I know you can use the PB as a grill, yet it is faster and easier to use the gasser.

I still use my BGE but I'm finding I use the pellet more often because it is just easy.

I have four grills right now: and I've used them all in the past month or so and I have the space.

here is where I've cooked things recently.

PB pro 820: Pork Ribs, Tri Tip, Beer Can smoked Chicken,
Big Green Egg : Pork Shoulder ( Pork Butt ), Pork Tenderloin roast
Weber genesis E330: Burgers, Salmon Burgers, Fire roasted Peppers, Shrimp, Beer Can Chicken, grilled veggies, Pizza, and used it as an oven twice during the last heat wave.
Weber genesis Silver B: Rotisserie chicken, and this is my new favorite way to cook chicken if I'm not wanting heavy smoke flavor.

if you have room consider getting a new grill that excels in smoking, and if it does grilling OK that's probably OK, but if you have another grill, keep it and use it if it makes sense.

good luck!
I’ll never have gas grill or smoke with wood again. Pitboss had me spoiled. Does everything I need to produce great meats.

Latest Discussions

Back