GFCI problems

Jalang35

Reaction score
My Austin XL keeps tripping my GFCI

Had the grill almost 1 year and in that year:

First started tripping on my 4th or 5th use. Eventually the igniter went out.

Replaced the igniter - worked without tripping 2 or 3 times then started again. Eventually igniter went out again.

Replaced the outdoor outlet to a brand new 20A outlet. Replaced the GFCI outlet with a brand new 20A outlet. Replaced the igniter and control board.

I plug directly into the outlet (no extension cord). If I plug into a non-GFCI outlet the grill runs fine.

Concerned what happens after my 1yr. warranty runs out in Nov/Dec and I get stuck with a faulty grill.

Anyone ever tried tracing shorts or looking for other electrical issues that might cause this behavior?

I should also mention it seems to always trip when the igniter is turning off. At least that seems like the timing.

GFCI outlets are not rated for motor loads (anything with a motor). The igniter probably isn’t helping with that. Can you replace the outlet with a standard outlet? I would also confirm that you have #12 wire if you are using a 20A outlet. 15A is run in #14 wire by code.

GFCI outlets are not rated for motor loads (anything with a motor). The igniter probably isn’t helping with that. Can you replace the outlet with a standard outlet? I would also confirm that you have #12 wire if you are using a 20A outlet. 15A is run in #14 wire by code.

I was just going ot chime in on this one. I own a Pit Boss and Yoder pellet grill and Yoder's manual stated not to use a GFCI outlet. Some people have used a commercial heavy duty extension cord and that has solved the issue, but that may not be the case for everyone.

I have the xl. It would trip the GFI off and on and never consistently. Like I noticed when its damp outside it would trip the GFI or if I start grill set for 350 instead of 220 but not always. It started after a few months of use. My ignitor finally went out after 10 months, I put a multimeter on it and it was open. I replaced it myself because I did not want to wait for weeks to get a part, plus I could not get any response from pit boss and I am still waiting. I Replaced the ignitor no more GFI trips, it has been a few months since I have replaced it. I also did read that a bad ignitor can trip GFI. And I read they go bad after awhile. Also unplug your grill after you turn it off, my ignitor stays hot while plugged in .

Last edited:
I have the xl. It would trip the GFI off and on and never consistently. Like I noticed when its damp outside it would trip the GFI or if I start grill set for 350 instead of 220 but not always. It started after a few months of use. My ignitor finally went out after 10 months, I put a multimeter on it and it was open. I replaced it myself because I did not want to wait for weeks to get a part, plus I could not get any response from pit boss and I am still waiting. I Replaced the ignitor no more GFI trips, it has been a few months since I have replaced it. I also did read that a bad ignitor can trip GFI. And I read they go bad after awhile. Also unplug your grill after you turn it off, my ignitor stays hot while plugged in .

I've had my PitBoss for just over a year. It's been operated on an outdoor GFCI it's entire life without a hitch.

Cranked her up this evemimg to cook off a couple of pork butts and she pre-heated as usual. I placed meat in smoker and she ran form10 minutes and I switched it to the smoke setting and P6 so it would cook slower with more smoke.

5 minutes later it tripped the GFCI (it’s the only thing plugged in on the entire circuit).

I've reset the outlet 3 times now. I finally gave up and it’s running with a heavy extension cord run through back door.

frustrating.

***FORGOT TO ADD: the heaviest dew I’ve seen in a long time tonight.

Last edited:
I've had my PitBoss for just over a year. It's been operated on an outdoor GFCI it's entire life without a hitch.

Cranked her up this evemimg to cook off a couple of pork butts and she pre-heated as usual. I placed meat in smoker and she ran form10 minutes and I switched it to the smoke setting and P6 so it would cook slower with more smoke.

5 minutes later it tripped the GFCI (it’s the only thing plugged in on the entire circuit).

I've reset the outlet 3 times now. I finally gave up and it’s running with a heavy extension cord run through back door.

frustrating.

***FORGOT TO ADD: the heaviest dew I’ve seen in a long time tonight.
You might want to think about replacing the ignitor. I had issues with grill and GFI. I had no issues when it was new. and then it would trip my GFI. I thought it was happening when damp outside. My ignitor died and I replaced it and have had no more tripping of my GFI. By the way I read ignitors go bad after awhile. I use my grill all year long.

Some GFCI outlets are crap and some are very good. I would avoid using that type of outlet in the first place to save yourself a head ache. Replacing the igniter may help, but if your igniter still working I would not replace it as some GFCI's are garbage.

I would replace ignitor because I did move my cord around to another outlet and it tripped as well. I had to use a non GFI outlet. I have a stand by ignitor now. I will replace it if the GFI starts tripping.

Latest Discussions

Back