Freezer left cracked open........

ANT0407

Reaction score
I've been buying ribs and pork buts when they go on sale and throwing them in the freezer. When my freezer is full I put them in my brother's freezer. He called me last night and told me that I need to fire up my smokers because someone left his freezer open and 2 butts(a 9 and an 11pounder), 8 racks of ribs and a turkey thawed and need to be cooked. I've got my 1600 going at 3am and got the butts on. I'll be firing up the masterbuilt vertical later for the ribs,and the turkey is going on the 1600 a bit later this morning. Needless to say, my friends and family are coming for dinner.

I've been buying ribs and pork buts when they go on sale and throwing them in the freezer. When my freezer is full I put them in my brother's freezer. He called me last night and told me that I need to fire up my smokers because someone left his freezer open and 2 butts(a 9 and an 11pounder), 8 racks of ribs and a turkey thawed and need to be cooked. I've got my 1600 going at 3am and got the butts on. I'll be firing up the masterbuilt vertical later for the ribs,and the turkey is going on the 1600 a bit later this morning. Needless to say, my friends and family are coming for dinner.
4 hours in
20220424_064642.jpg

Dang early start and lookin good.
Fired my 1150 up at 5:30 for a pork butt today.
Yes it was an early one. I just wanted to get the logest cook out of the way. I'll be resting the butts at 170 in my oven while I smoke the turkey and ribs.

Lookin good! I see you score your fat cap and cook cap up too. Do you have any kind of deflector over your fire pot?

Only the half round thing that channels the grease to bucket. I cover it with foil and cover the opening on left side. That PB left open directly on the bottom of temp probe. Doing that basically evened my temps out with the center being 3-5° hotter.

Only the half round thing that channels the grease to bucket. I cover it with foil and cover the opening on left side. That PB left open directly on the bottom of temp probe. Doing that basically evened my temps out with the center being 3-5° hotter.
Cool, I have a Heavy D over my burn pot. I leave it in as an extra deflector even when I don't load it with wood chunks. Good to know there is another option. I used to always cook fat cap down until I got that. But scoring the cap and cooking it fat up make those delicious rendered morsals that I mix in when I pull it apart. Yummmmmm!

Looks like you're running hotter than me also. I started on smoke for 2 hours then went to 250. Refilled smoke tube at 4 hours and went to 270.

Looks like you're running hotter than me also. I started on smoke for 2 hours then went to 250. Refilled smoke tube at 4 hours and went to 270.
I filled my 12 inch tube and ran 270 from the start

Cool, I have a Heavy D over my burn pot. I leave it in as an extra deflector even when I don't load it with wood chunks. Good to know there is another option. I used to always cook fat cap down until I got that. But scoring the cap and cooking it fat up make those delicious rendered morsals that I mix in when I pull it apart. Yummmmmm!
I start fat cap down on my offset.
I need get one of those HeavyD's and the other deflector thing.

He called me last night and told me that I need to fire up my smokers because someone left his freezer open and 2 butts(a 9 and an 11pounder), 8 racks of ribs and a turkey thawed
This is a 'fun' adventure. Meat can be re-frozen, and in fact a lot of meat is frozen more than once, especially if you buy it thawed to freeze it. That said, I have had a chest freezer fail and its a tragic thing, especially if you dont realize, or dont have room in another freezer to save it.

This is a 'fun' adventure. Meat can be re-frozen, and in fact a lot of meat is frozen more than once, especially if you buy it thawed to freeze it. That said, I have had a chest freezer fail and its a tragic thing, especially if you dont realize, or dont have room in another freezer to save it.
I never thought about that. Alot of meat is frozen and thawed while waiting for you to buy it from the market, and then we take it home and freeze it. Good point.

Latest Discussions

Back