FNG

Reaction score
What’s happening? New to the forum, and pellet smoking. First smoker I bought was a master built and the only thing I ever liked off of it was ribs and pulled pork . 98% sure it’s just me though. Came across and bought a pit boss pro series 2 600 from lowes for $139. My only regret is buying it spur of the moment without researching it. No PID or Wi-Fi hurts. Attempting to source a rec tec controller at the moment. Going to slap a tell tru or two in the lid, get a slide-able flame diffuser for temp controls and it will be dialed in perfectly. When I say slide-able I’m referencing a pice of 14 gauge steel plate bent to cover the burn pot, with a 1/4-20 rod attached and popped through the right hand side of the smoker w/ a handle so when I want to smack the temps even, no problem. When I want to sear a nice ribeye, slide it out of the way, move the sear plate and bam. Done. (pic from burn off )
2364DBD8-DCE0-406F-9E65-98CF8E648897.jpeg

So far after the burn in I have smoked some ribs, some backstraps, and some deer jerky.
Ribs are ribs, they are my bread and butter apparently. Venison backstraps were a little more tricky as they are very lean. So after figuring out where my p settings would settle I send it on p6 then worked my way to p2 over the course of 2.5 hrs and got to the internal temp I wanted of 120 then opened up the sear plate, cranked er up and finished them off. They actually had a really nice smoke ring and turned out perfect.

84A0C185-D149-44DA-B1FF-555B892D9B7C.jpeg

Any ways, i look forward to contributing to the forum and learning as much as possible. Cheers !

I have 2 with non-PID controllers and have not had any issues. At first I wanted to buy another one just for the PID controller but after thinking about it more I'm very happy with what I have and don't see a need for anything new until one of them craps out.

Latest Discussions

Back