Flavour battle

RandyQcandy

Reaction score
3series electric. Need advice on wood!
I’ve done 4 smokes and can’t seem to find the right wood/smoke flavor.
I have been using chips so far, (mesquite and hickory) but wonder if I could try a few fruit flavour pellets instead?
I’m also thinking I should maybe mix oak and fruit flavour.
It isn’t a sour (thick smoke) problem but a taste thing??
Throw some ideas my way.

I am not aware of the Series 3 using chips. Unless it is a different model than the Copperhead? There are plenty of pellets out there from many different companies. Pit Boss sells bags at Walmart and they have the best price. They have Apple and Fruitwood Blend pellets. I believe Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain and those are good pellets as well.

I am not aware of the Series 3 using chips. Unless it is a different model than the Copperhead? There are plenty of pellets out there from many different companies. Pit Boss sells bags at Walmart and they have the best price. They have Apple and Fruitwood Blend pellets. I believe Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain and those are good pellets as well.
Hay Mike:
Thanks for the pellet info.
I wish now that I had looked more seriously at pellet models, but for now I’m trying to work this electric (1600watt)vertical.
Could be I haven’t allowed it to season (break in) properly. It is a chip vertical smoker/grill and has a good sized chip drawer. I’m considering a small handful of pellets as an experiment.

I am not sure how pellets would work in a chip burning model. I assume they would burn up too fast but you could always give it a try. The first thing I would do is a mix of chips and pellets with mostly chips. Then on the next cook try 50/50 and see how it turns out but I believe the pellets would burn up much faster than the chips. Let us know how it turns out I am curious. Bags of pellets are pretty cheap at Walmart, normally they have the 20 pound bags for around $9. Just look for the green bag (apple) or red bag (fruit blend). You will probably get the most smoke flavor from hickory pellets.

I am not sure of the stores in Canada so you may have other outlets other than Walmart but you can find fruit pellets at just about any home improvement store.

I read somewhere in a conversation with PB customer service and a reviewer, that when it says water-soaked chips, stick with them. Pellets burn too hot and make it hard to control temps. Reviewer was complaining about temps soaring.

Yeah water and pellets don't mix at all. You'd have a huge mess if you mixed them with water. I am unfamiliar with the wood chip version of a Pit Boss but I do have an "oil-less" turkey fryer (which I haven't used in several years) that took wood chips. It was just a tray on top of the heating element. Never got much smoke flavor out of that but I may have to give that fryer a try again sometime since I have a ton of wood chips.

Last edited:
PB has a cheaper Series 2 tower red gas smoker that BJ's had on special for $159.
I just was being curious and checked it out.
Somebody assumed that since it was from PB, that it required pellets.....
NOT!

Yeah water and pellets don't mix at all. You'd have a huge mess if you mixed them with water. I am unfamiliar with the wood chip version of a Pit Boss but I do have an "oil-less" turkey fryer (which I haven't used in several years) that took wood chips. It was just a try on top of the heating element. Never got much smoke flavor out of that but I may have to give that fryer a try again sometime since I have a ton of wood chips.
Yeah water and pellets don't mix at all. You'd have a huge mess if you mixed them with water. I am unfamiliar with the wood chip version of a Pit Boss but I do have an "oil-less" turkey fryer (which I haven't used in several years) that took wood chips. It was just a try on top of the heating element. Never got much smoke flavor out of that but I may have to give that fryer a try again sometime since I have a ton of wood chips.
Thanks again Mike.
I’ve been down the camp chief, Bradley, Masterbuilt Road and you know , every one of them required a learning period. Haha! Guess this PB chip smoker is no different.
I still wish I hadn’t “cheated out” on a chipper and went pellet.

Right. But in the discussion I was telling him about a PB that used chips. series 2. I was just investigating a BJs.com ad and found it.
Someone had used pellets in it, and PB told them that one was for chips

Latest Discussions

Back